Would an upper lid lift help the skin hanging over my eyelids? (Photo)

my eyes feel heavy and I have to use my forehead' muscles to open them wide. The upper part of the lid is puffy and heavy.

More than meets the eye

So "heavy" or "drooping" upper lids has more than one cause usually but primarily gravity and deflation.  Gravity is obvious but deflation is the loss of fat around the eyes causing an appearance of excess skin. If the gravitational effect has caused your brow to drop below the level of the bone over the eye an endoscopic procedure to lift this is often an eye-opener for the select patient.  For some patients this is not a desirable look and should be avoided. Simply removing upper eyelid skin and fat may aggravate the aging appearance so be careful with this procedure.  Fat grafting when indicated can give tremendous rejuvenation to the periorbital region and actually lift the brow to some extent. Review all these options with your physician

Would an upper lid lift help the skin hanging over my eyelids?

Dear Elanor, from you photo, you may be a good candidate for an upper eyelid bleparoplasty with or without a brow lift.  This procedure can be performed in conjunction with a levator muscle advancement or shortening if there has been a levator muscle dehiscence.   The procedure can be performed under local anesthesia with sedation.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Upper lid lift ?

Good question.  When looking at your photo it looks like you are laying down which will change your appearance.  When I look at your photo you have a more serious appearance caused by the brows being lower closer to the nose with the brow also sagging on the outside part of the eye.  As we age if the brows become lower we try and subconsciously lift them using the forehead muscles which causes the creases in the forehead area.  Many times this requires a combo approach to deal with the brows and upper eyelid area to get the best results.  You need to decide whether to have a brow lift before just doing your upper eyelids.  If you do the upper eyelid surgery without the brow lift ( I always want to do the brows first), you will not elevate the brows and it makes it very difficult to lift the brows after.  Brow elevation is important to get rid of the tired and serious look.  Your question and appearance are common concerns.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid and brow ptosis

Hello Eleanor,Thank you for your question and picture!  I see some aging changes which are occurring, but in general, I feel you are aging well.  Do you use Botox in your forehead?  The reason I ask is because I see a little medial drop of your brows.  I do see the lateral upper eyelid skin laxity which is starting to occur.  My practice is in the Bay Area and I'd love to see you in consultation for a complimentary consultation.  If I don't see you, best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bragging upper lids and brows?

Your sagging upper eyelids and brows can be corrected with a hairline incision to lift both the brows as well as remove excess skin of your upper lids. Hair will grow through the incision so it is not seen. See a very experienced surgeon who can show you pictures of his results and hairline

Upper lid heaviness

The feeling of heaviness in your upper eyelids has a great deal of contribution from the actual position of your upper eyelid margin, not just from the skin and soft tissue is above your eyelids.
There is a small muscle that helps lift up your eyelids, and as this weakens and detaches from its insertion on your eyelid, it is common to have a slight descent in the position of your eyelid margin, we call this ptosis, and it would need to be addressed with your preoperative examination. 
To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.
Cameron Chesnut #realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

You would benefit from a personal consultation to formally answer this question.

The biggest issue here is bilateral upper eyelid anterior levator dehiscence ptosis that is more marked on the left side.  The levator is the tendon of the muscle that opens the upper eyelid. When it dehisces the tendon is pulled up into the anterior orbit and brings with it anterior orbital fat making the upper eyelid sulcus hollow.  Then yes, the eyebrow compensate with frontalis muscle activity.  This is primarily addressed by correcting the upper eyelid ptosis.

Fullness of the upper lids can be cosmetically improved with a number of surgical options depending on individual anatomy and desired outcome: an artistically performed conservative upper blepharoplasty, a repositioning of the brow if it is low, or a combination of both.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest.  Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery to give a natural, youthful look

Upper eyelid surgery is very popular and give very good results whilst still looking natural. An Upper blepharoplasty can be performed under a local anaesthetic and either removable or absorbable stitches can be used. A very thin layer of excess skin will be removed and then the eyelid will be stitched back together. There will be some slight swelling and bruising but I encourage my patients to soak cotton pads with Witch Hazel, place in the fridge and then rest on top of closed eyes as much as possible. This not only helps the swelling, it also feels extremely soothing making recovery a lot more pleasant. I wish you luck in the future. Please remember to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified.

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Generally yes, the upper eyelid lift can eliminate the excess skin and fat and create a more youthful, alert appearance.  This procedure can usually be performed under local anesthesia.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS