When is the appropriate time for a tummy tuck and breast lift during weight loss?

I am 5'10'' and 32 years old, no kids and none planned. I am currently 213 lbs with sagging 38DD breasts. At my highest weight I was 262 lbs. With very strict diet ad exercise I got down to my lowest adult weight of 184 lbs. i have maintained between 195 lbs and 215 lbs for the past 1.5 years. Should I get myself back down to my lower weight? I exercise 5 days a week, 3 mile jogging, elliptical, swimming, light weight training, crunches, etc. I eat a low calorie, low fat, low carb diet.

Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift and Weight Loss

It is best to undergo a #TummyTuck and #BreastLift procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Weight

From your description, your cosmetic result will be better if you can lose more weight. Mommy makeover can be done technically; however, you want to look great and be safe after the surgery. An elevated BMI increases surgical and post-surgical complication. Please try to get to your stable, goal weight (not necessarily ideal weight) and consult a board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Weight loss

Thank you for your question.  I recommend that you get to your goal weight before undergoing a mommy makeover.  This way, you will get the maximum benefit from the tummy tuck and breast lift without having to worry about there being additional excess skin after surgery.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

When to Have a Mommy Makeover

Excellent job in losing weight,and getting yourself on a great exercise program with healthy eating! If possible it is best to get to within 20 pounds of a weight that you feel you can maintain, however it can be frustrating to set a goal that can't be accomplished, as long as you are healthy and you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who will be able to help you determine when you are ready for surgery, you should be fine. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

First, congratulations on the 50 lb weight loss.  This is the most important step in achieving better health and appearance.  Although, there is no absolute weight that must be reached before considering a mommy makeover procedure, getting one's BMI below 30 can reduce the risks of the procedure.  Check with your primary physician for advice on this topic.  But, work to achieve a weight that you can maintain for the long term. From what you have said, you may be close to your goal.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

Hi there. You might consider your mommy makeover after you lose more weight. Closer to your lower weight would help reduce your surgical risk profile. 

Be well. 

Dr. B

When?

When you are at a BMI of less than 30 and stable at your goal weight for more than 3 months, that is the right time.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Mommy makeover weight

If you feel you are at your ideal weight then definitely go seek several consultations with board certified PS in your area who can go over your options.  Good luck!

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Right time for surgery

Congratulations on your weight-loss. It sounds like you're doing everything that you can to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Your weight has been pretty stable over the last one and a half years. I would recommend you consulting now with plastic surgeons in your area for advice concerning body contouring.