I'm interested in a mini facelift or cheeklift. I understand scars are located behind the ears.

Due to my job, I must wear my hair up in a bun. This wouldn't allow my hairstyle to act as concealment during healing period. Would make up cover the scars enough to be non detectable after 2 weeks?

Scars of miniface lifts

In a mini facelift, or any facelift for that matter, there is of necessity a scar both in front of the ear and a small one behind the ear in case of the mini. Some mini facelifts, including the one that I do, place a scar below the hairline of the temple so as not to move or distort that hairline. Most likely by two weeks, scars in front of the ear which could be visible should be able to be covered by makeup. Discuss with your intended plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Mini facelift: where are the incisions

I  place my incisions inside the ear and they stop under the earlobe.

With this #cosmeticsurgery patients usually feel some tightness, firmness under the skin, and moderate swelling & bruising during the first week. Most patients having a modified #facelift feel comfortable being out in public shortly thereafter, sometimes after a few days. It’s best to allow one to two weeks for healing from your #plasticsurgery.

WHAT ARE THE SCARS LIKE?

When you have a #facelift, well placed incisions which are well planned and hidden, along with lifting without tension will help #minilifts, #litelifts and other #facelifts heal when performing these types of #cosmeticsurgeries.
Limited scar incision and proper care after sugery help. Topical scar creams and laser as needed can all help create incisions that are hard to see.

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured.  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.  The incisions, to remove excess skin, must be in front of the ear, not just behind.  I curve these around the front of the ear.  

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Mini face lift scars

After two weeks, the scars should be able to be concealed well with a mini face lift.  There should be minimal bruising and swelling as well.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hiding mini-facelift scars

Thank you for the question. In patients with relatively mild skin excess and jowls, the incisions for a mini lift can be shortened and almost completely hidden in the hairline and on the back of the ear. After two weeks, the portion of the incisions that is not in the hairline can be covered with makeup. Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minilift Wound Healing

You certainly have greater than a 50% chance of being able to conceal your incisions 2 full weeks after surgery. All sutures would have been removed by that time, and you should be allowed to place makeup over the incisions (and leftover bruising). Swelling should generally be 90% resolved at this point as well. Properly performed incisions should heal so well that you should be able to wear your hair up in the future if you wish to do so.

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift

Incisions are typically in front and behind the ear.  They are hidden in the contours of the ear so that after 2 weeks they should be fully healed and not very visible or at least capable of being camouflaged with makeup.  The incision behind the ear may curve down along the posterior hairline as well so if you wear your hair up this may need to be taken into account.  

I agree that a mini-facelift will need some incisions in the area of the creases between the ear and cheek in order to address the excess tissue and elevate the cheeks. This is to most adequate and effective way to minimize the visibility of the incision lines. A full facelift will require the incision to be extended to the area behind the ear in order to be able to address the neck too. Makeup can be utilize 10-14 days out to cover the incision lines if still visible.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini facelift scars

Mini facelift is designed to improve the lower face laxity (jowls) with no improvement in the neck area. The incisions are behind the tragus and around the ear to back of the ear. A well preformed min facelift should leave no scar after 4 weeks. In our practice, we perform mini and full facelift using local anesthesia and twilight sedation without the need for general anesthesia. The recovery is quick and natural looking results. 

Kevin Sadati, DO

Mini lift incisions

Thanks for sharing.  Usually, a mini lift will have incisions along and around the borders of the ear in front and behind. This procedure is used to lift the jowl area.  Done properly the incisions should be hard to notice.  Typically, my patients are allowed apply makeup after suture removal in a week and the area can be well concealed. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD