Implants placed too far apart when laying down. Will this improve? I'm 1 month post op (Photo)

Does anyone else feel this way? I love my boobs when I am upright and don't like the way they look when I am laying down because of the huge gap between them. I'm hoping since I'm only one month post op they might settle closer?? Does anyone else feel this way?

Implants placed too far apart when laying down. Will this improve? I'm 1 month post op

Thank you for your question and images. What you are talking about is completely normal. Breast implants respond to gravity in the same manner that natural breast do - they move to the side when you lie down. This is a natural movement and perfectly normal. If the cleavage position is good when you are standing then the breast implants pockets are in the correct position. You may have seen some patients post breast augmentation with implants that do not move to the side when lying down. This can occur with some textured implants and on occasion in the setting of capsular contracture. Personally, I think natural is best but you can discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.
Regards
Dr Guy Watts

After viewing your photos, it appears that you are healing normally at this time.  Implants will move sideways when lying down.  I would recommend continued support for your breasts at this time as the pocket and capsule surrounding the implants is still forming.  You don't want to put too much strain on the pocket until it is fully healed to minimize your chance of the the implants moving more than they are right now.

Wide space between breasts?

There are anatomic limitations that will determine the distance or space between the breasts following augmentation. Most women have a goal of great cleavage but this is not always possible. It appears from your photos that you have achieved a very good result based on your underlying anatomy. The tendency to fall to the sides when lying down is the natural result of gravity. This generally does not warrant treatment unless it is excessive. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon who can likely provide reassurance. 
Best wishes and I hope you enjoy your changes.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Need photos

Could you please provide us with pre surgery photos so we can better help you.  From the normal posture it looks fine.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Implants do not 'heal closer together with time'

and you have an excellent result.  You judge results by how they hang when upright.  Gravity will pull them sideways when laying down flat and that is totally natural.  If you don't want your implants to move, then you have to consider textured implants and hope they heal they way they were designed to... like stick on breasts.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breasts too far apart

You are born with the shape and cleavage of your breasts, that cannot be changed.  Some women's breast are closer together than others.  The implants have to be centered directly behind the breast, and if they are placed to close together, the nipples point outwardly.  Enjoy your beautiful breasts.

Implants placed too far apart when laying down. Will this improve?

Although some “falling to these sides” of breast implants is quite normal when you lie down, if this occurs “excessively”, it may be a concern to patients. This phenomenon is called lateral displacement of the breast implant. Surgical correction is an option.

Generally, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline. In my practice, I use a 2 layered suture technique to close off the space laterally (towards the axilla).  
I hope this, and the attached link, (dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Implant Placement

It is normal for the implants to displace laterally when you are laying down.  Your implants appear to be appropriately placed.  You almost certainly had a gap between your breasts prior to your augmentation and I would expect this to remain relatively unchanged as time goes on.  Take care. 

Timothy A. Janiga MD, FACS

It's normal for the implants to move some laterally when laying down...if you notice, you have a gap even when you are standing upright and that is normal. Not sure this will improve because this is just your anatomy. Hope this helps!