How Many Grafts and What Technique to Address Temple Scars? (Photo)

About 18 months ago, I had a facelift, which left scars on the sides of my face up to the temple area. I am looking to have a hair transplant, and it would be helpful to know the following: 1. What is the number of estimated grafts needed? 2. How is an area with a thick scar addressed with a hair transplant, and is there a way to prep this area for optimal hair transplant growth? 3. Would FUT or FUE be the best technique? 4. What is the cost per graft?

Temple scars after Facelift

I commonly see this in my practice after women have had face lift procedures.  I generally repair these using the FUE technique if the number of grafts needed is less than 500.  If it is greater than that, I will use the strip/FUT method as I dont wish to shave a large area of hair on the back of a womans scalp.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scars in temples.

You should have scar revision before considering hair transplants. Hair transplants might not take well in what looks like thick scar tissue. Later, a few hundred grafts should finish any remaining problem. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision of temporal scars secondary to facelift.

You would get a better to have a scar revision with or without a tissue expansion behind the scar. This will ultimately be less expensive and will give a far better result than transplants which you do not grow well in scar tissue.see a very experienced surgeon for correction of this problem and look at his before and after pictures carefully.    

Grafting into scar

Often the follicles will integrate into scar tissue.  However, if the scar is deep and involves dermal or subnormal tissue, the graft may not have enough blood supply.  I will often prick the area with a needle in office to assess the tissue.  This area will need at least 800 grafts.

Tim Neavin, MD

It all varies

Your scar is relatively larger than most facelift scars based on photos alone.
There are basically 3 options
1) Scar revision - this is a surgery that may reduce the scar a small percent.
2) Hair transplant - this is a surgery that may cover the scar for some improvement but you will still likely see the scar
3) Scalp MicroPigmentation - this is NOT surgery but it is NOT real hair and it will just cover the contrast of the scar against your hair

FUE versus FUT is just a method of harvesting grafts for hair transplant surgery.
There are benefits as well as disadvantages to both.

Your case (like most all cases) requires a detailed consultation with a doctor.
The Internet will likely cause more confusion as everyone has their own opinion.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Facelift Scar and Hair Transplant

Your condition could be easily addressed by a hair transplant.  The choice of the procedure is based on your personal preference and needs to be discussed with your surgeon.  The number of grafts should not be more than 1000 grafts assuming that you have bilateral scars with the same size that you are showing in the photo.

The cost is different from practice to practice.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant in scar

We have done many transplants in the scar area specially after face lifts.  Some times the blood supply is compromised and hair may not grow.  But in most cases it is very successful.  If the scar is on one side then 1000 grafts would be sufficient, if it is on both sides then more grafts are needed. If you are worried about hairs not growing, you can do a scar revision or do a small session for testing.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

What would you recomment for my face lift scar as shown in the photo?

Follicular Unit Transplant via an FUE or a Strip procedure will adequately address this scar, as either of these procedures will do well. I would estimate about 1000 grafts, but i can not be sure without examining you. Hair transplants into scars is common after facelifts. I have done this many times because of the many Beverly Hills plastic surgeons and the volume of face lifts they see. The results are usually pretty good after one transplant, but in your case, the skin is very white and this may require some special considerations. If after the hair transplant you have adequate coverage and still show a white scar, the scalp micropigmentation into the scar will easily manage the white appearance of the scar, but I would wait until the hair transplants have fully grown in. See below for picture of face lift scar before and after surgery in a beautiful redhead.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant post face lift

Firstly, it is very difficult to judge the area of hair loss from the submitted photo both in terms of dimensions and aetiology.
Secondly, there are many causes of hair loss and it is possible that there is something else that has affected your hair apart from the face lift surgery. An accurate diagnosis by a doctor who specialises in hair loss is very important.
Thirdly, any plan for having a hair transplant procedure, including an estimate of the number of grafts required, should be done face to face with the hair transplant surgeon you choose to do your surgery.

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant

1000 grafts would be sufficient to bring back a natural hairline. However being a scar, graft survival may be lower than the normal skin. You have to consult a hair transplant specialist to examine the nature of the scar. FUT and FUE are both fine; theres no difference in the result; except the linear scar that will exist at the donor area after FUT. The cost varies with different specialist; a price quotation will not be suitable in this forum.

Ekrem Civas, MD
Turkey Hair Restoration Surgeon