Will a low grade fever during surgery cause capsular contracture?

I currently have a low grade fever because I am recovering from a cold. It is currently 9:51 pm. I am scheduled for a breast augmentation at 11:30 am tomorrow. Does having a low grade fever predispose one to capsular contracture; whether it be directly or indirectly? If so, how? My theory is that a weakened immune system may not be able to fight off infection at the surgical site and therefore increase risk for CC but what do I know.

Fever/Capsular Contracture Risk

Thank you for your question. It is important to let your Plastic Surgeon know about any health concerns before surgery. More so a possible infection prior to surgery might be considered an unnecessary risk. Your Surgeon will want to discuss this with you and your anesthesiologist and then make a decision.

Take care

Fever before surgery?

The working theory about capsular contracture is that is caused by bacteria that gain access to the space around a breast implant. These bacteria then become a biofilm which stimulates the natural occurring capsule to contract. I would be more concerned about an active infection that could secondarily cause an infection of the breast implant therefore, the source of your fever should be investigated. I would recommend contacting your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. He or she is probably going to need a white blood cell count to help decide whether or not your surgery should proceed. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

If your low grade fever is due to an infection, it can increase risks of infection around the implant.  Even a low grade infection could result in capsular contracture or even need for removal of the implant.  Let your surgeon know about your condition.   They may want to postpone your procedure.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Contact your plastic surgeon about your fever.  Most likely, your surgeon and your anesthesiologist will postpone your surgery until you are well.  A fever, by itself, in unlikely to cause a contracture but bacteria that spreads to your implant may cause infection of your implants.  Call your surgeon now.  Best wishes. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Low grade fever and surgery

Aside from your BA, I do not operate on patients with a fever. You must advise you PS of your condition and have him/her  discuss it with you. To my knowledge, there is no scientific correlation between a fever and capsular contracture.......but  a fever of unknown origin and  surgery do not mix.

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - does a fever mean I have to cancel?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Your theory is correct about capsular contracture -
  • But you should not have general anesthesia with an undiagnosed fever -
  • And the surgery itself can become infected if you have a bacterial infection
  • This can lead to your losing the implant - a bigger problem than capsular contracture. 
  • Please contact your plastic surgeon to postpone the surgery and see your regular doctor for evaluation of your fever.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

If you currently have a respiratory infection, anesthesia will most likely cancel your surgery until you are better. Most upper respiratory infections are viral and do not increase your risk for capsular contracture. Thank you for sharing you question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Capsular contracture

If you have a bacterial infection, surgery should be postponed. If it is it infection due to a virus, the most usual cause a cold, it is unlikely to have any bad effects. However, this is a question for your surgeon. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

A viral URI early after breast augmentation should have no effect on capsular contracture.

To state categorically that this would have no influence on the development of capsular contracture is impossible since we don't know what causes the condition. Nevertheless a virus would not be expected to create an issue. However if you have a low-grade fever shortly after breast augmentation this should be reported to your surgeon.

Please call your surgeon and notify them. He or anesthesia will likely delay surgery. The concern is more about your lungs and anesthesia. Low grade fever does not, to my knowledge predispose to capsular contracture. Very high extreme fevers after implants in may.