Should my doctor have placed a larger implant? (photo)

My left breast is naturally smaller than my right from breastfeeding my rib being higher. My doctor recommended placing a 400cc in my smaller (left) breast and a 375cc in the other (right.) He did mention that the left would still remain smaller but I find it very noticeable? I'm only 2 days post-op am wondering if the logical and more obvious solution for this was for him to place a larger implant like a 475 instead? I just don't think 400 was enough to fill the discrepancy in size?

Breast augmentation - did my doctor use the wrong sized implant

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • No, I do not believe your surgeon made an error in judgement.
  • We notice asymmetry after surgery much more than before.
  • Here's the problem - as gel implants get larger, all their dimensions change -
  • They are wider and project more -
  • If your surgeon had placed 475 cc implants, you would look more asymmetric, less naturally. 
  • You are so early after surgery that your implants have not begun to drop.
  • Given them time to settle - chances are you will find the asymmetry less noticeable and be happy with your result 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

2 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. Its too early to talk about final results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. I recommend you to talk with your plastic surgeon and follow his advices.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

2 days post breast augmentation

Thank you for your photograph and for your question. You are still in the very early healing stages of breast augmentation. Your breasts will change dramatically over the next few months. It's common for asymmetry to be exacerbated for the first few months post augmentation. Based on your photos alone it doesn't appear that your surgeon could have safely went any larger in implant size. I would recommend patience and discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Asymmetry from right to left

Thank you for your question.You are very early in the healing process, so it is hard to determine what exactly the end result will be. It sounds like he was working with a few asymmetries besides the breasts being different sizes. The photo you posted doesn't really help, it is at a bad angle. At this point remain patient and see what happens over the next few weeks as the implants start to settle. Even if you decided to go bigger on the left it wouldn't be done for a while anyhow. Good luck with recovery.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.Without seeing preoperative photographs it is hard to give you the most accurate opinion but if your doctor evaluated you and took your measurements and those where the size of implants he choose to make the breasts appear more even then I would think that he made a credible decision. You are very early in your recovery period and while there is swelling present, the breasts may appear uneven. Over the next 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement on the symmetry of your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Implants are chosen by my patients

with my guidance and not by me without their approval.  You do have a marked asymmetry and if this is growing, it demands attention from your surgeon.  If stable and not painful, need patience and focus on healing and maybe the difference could be from swelling.  Once healed, you should be able to clearly show your surgeon your concerns and find a solution to help improve your results.

Curtis Wong, MD