Concerned about later consequences of a Facelift? (photos)

I'm 47 and have thinner skin from years of Prednisone (which I have stopped). I was already considering a lower face lift (see face photo when leaning over.) Then I injured my neck skin from adding wax to my throat 6 months ago. Been saving up for a lower facelift ever since - almost there! But how likely is the need for follow up procedures? Spending everything I have on this, then I will see about letting aging happen. What are the chances my aging skin will pull noticeably unevenly in the years following a lower face lift, requiring surgical touchups?

Concerned about later consequences of a Facelift?

The majority of patients only need one facelift in a lifetime.  Occasionally, you will see someone years later that needs or wants a minor tuck.   You will continue to age but will always look better than you would if you didn't have the surgery.

Consequences of Facelift

The pictures suggest that a lower face and neck lift will provide the rejuvenation you want. If the work is well done it is typically about 10-12 years before patients consider a tuck-up. You will continue to age but will always look better than you would if you didn't have the surgery.

The Lasting Effects of a Facelift

On average the surgical #results last between 4 and 7 years. However, people vary so much from one another, an exact time is difficult to provide. If you wish, you may repeat the procedure at that time. There is always an improvement compared to not having the procedure as the #aging process continues to progress throughout the future. Patients, with very loose skin will occasionally experience sagging earlier and it may be seen as soon as one  year later. Such may require a secondary procedure to tighten the loose skin. 

Results of Lower Facelift Can Last Years

First, it's important to understand that the aging process continues even after having a facelift. But many patients who undergo facial plastic surgery are happy with their appearances 10 to 15 years later, and they often decide that a follow-up procedure is unnecessary. Based on the photos you've posted, it appears a neck lift and lower facelift can get your desired results if performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon who understands your goals. Best of luck to you.

How long will Facelift results last?

Most patients only require one facelift during their lifetime. I tell patients that it will take a decade off your face forever -- meaning that yes, you will continue to age but your face will always look ten years younger. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Facelift

Thank you for your question and picture, a lower facelift and neck lift would definitely provide you with a smooth, contoured jawline and neck.  The Concept™ facelift is suitable for patients wanting to reduce sagging in the lower face and neck and regain a more natural, rejuvenated appearance.  The procedure is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period.  The Concept™ Facelift can be performed under local anaesthetic (some people may opt for twilight sedation).

What are the benefit of The Concept Facelift, under local anaesthetic?

• Minimally invasive as it is a short scar facelift
  • There is minimal bruising and swelling, especially when compared to traditional facelifts
  • As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, you can go straight home following the procedure
  • Full recovery in a matter of days rather than months
  • Significantly less risk than Facelifts performed under general anaesthetic
  • Fresh, youthful and long lasting results

The Concept facelift procedure targets the muscle and skin therefore giving a longevity of 7-10 years, the same as a traditional facelift. As you are a younger patient, the longevity is normally extended.  Most patients will only need one facelift, as you will continue to age, but always look better for having surgery (therefore prolonging the age process as it were)

All The Best

Facelift Longevity

Some patients are happy for the rest of their lives with one facelift.  However, the generally agreed upon "duration" of result is about 10-12 years, if a  facelift is properly performed.  Shortcut procedures will lead to a shorter duration of result, less impressive result, and sometimes problems that can be difficult to correct. Factors that negatively affect the longevity of a facelift includes large or frequent fluctuations in weight.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

You appear to be a good candidate for a face and neck lift. Gravity will continue to affect these areas after the surgery, but you will still look better in 10-15 years than you would if you did not have the surgery performed. Consult with a board certified facelift surgeon.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

A good facelift last about 10 or so years.  Some people will get a second one done, depending on how they feel about their appearance.  But having it done doesn't accelerate the aging process in any way.

Best to seek out a plastic surgeon who has plenty of before & after photos that you like.

Need for facelift

it looks like a skin only facelift will correct your problem and I would not worry about having to repeat. Find a good board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon