What are the chances the skin on the face will pull unevenly after a lower face and neck lift? (Photo)

I have a concern not about continuing to age after a lower face lift, that's inevitable, but what are the chances that my skin will age *unevenly*? Perhaps I will have a touch up in 10 years after, but my primary concern is if there will be a stretch mark across the cheekbone line or some other kind of unnatural effect from the lower face lift so that I will *have to.* I am 47 and have thinner skin due to many years of prednisone, which I have since stopped.

Facelift

I understand your concern.  Choose your surgeon wisely.  Consult only with board certified highly experienced plastic surgeons for a natural result.

Facelift candidate

There  is facial asymmetry before and after a facelift procedure. The amount of skin that is tightened during facelift can vary from side to side depending upon the pre-existing laxity of the skin itself.   The aging process will continue. Just look for a surgeon who performs a very natural  Facelift results, so that you do not look over tightened and wind tunneled.

Uneven skin and irregularities after lower facelift

Given the context you provided of thin skin plus history of prednisone use I'd say it's a little higher than normal but low enough that it's probably safe to proceed.  That being said get a number of consults with board certified facial plastic surgeon.  Describe your concerns in some detail and I think an experienced surgeon would be open and say they've seen this issue before and maybe the risks are higher but here's a plan to avoid that best we can.  If you get nothing but vague reassurances and promises of perfection I'd say that sounds a little like fluff.

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Asymmetric pull after a face lift is unusual.  We do a fair amount of revision referrals and asymmetrical pull is one of the less common complications we are asked to fix.  Everyone has some facial asymmetry that will persist after a facelift.  The thin skin after prolonged steroid use will change the surgery technique somewhat.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

What are the chances the skin on the face will pull unevenly after a lower face and neck lift?

I can certainly understand and appreciate your concerns. Your skin will continue to age evenly. The bigger concern is your statement about having the uneven result from poorly done surgery and that is a possibility. Choose your surgeon wisely for both their experience and sense of artistry and you will love the results. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Facelift without uneven results.

this can be achieved if you go to a very experienced facelift surgeon to remove the excess skin with natural results. Look at many before and after photos. I would not advise any  other procedure than a facelift to remove your excess skin. 

Getting The Best Results After Lower Face Lift--VASER/ThermiRF/Thermage/Ultherapy

This is really tough to answer because it's impossible to predict. That type of scarring wouldn't be typical but can be improved if necessary. There are many great options to improve symmetry and maintain shape after your procedure including VASER/ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox and lasers and fillers. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for an in person consultation to discuss long term goals and concerns. Best, Dr. Emer.

Uneven Pull After a Lower Facelift

Thank you for your question and picture, please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who has expertise in facial surgery, this should not be problem.  All The Best 

Natural Aging After Facelift

Thanks for your question.  This is a wise question and one that should be considered when interviewing your board certified plastic surgeon.  Choose wisely and ask all of your questions.  Best of luck in your search.

Lower face and neck lift results

I do understand your concern and I would encourage you to visit several board certified plastic surgeons.  I would also ask the surgeon if he/she has before and after pictures of secondary face and neck lifts. I have several in my gallery and they clearly show no issue with uneven skin. I wish you the best.

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS