Asian Rhinoplasty for asymmetrical nose with flat nostrils, round nose tip? (Photo)

I want to have a straight outline going down my nose. I feel that my nose has an uneven appearance, and is wide. I also like the tip to be a bit sharper be pushed forward a little more. I would place my finger in my nostrils and push it away from my face to see what my nose would look like if it was sharper with a higher bridge as you can see in one of the pictures. Would it be possible with just cartilage graft to achieve stronger looking nose, and a more prominent bridge?

Underprojected nasal tip in Asian patient

One can obtain spectacular results with rhinoplasty in all ethnicities.  However, each nose of different racial heritage can present certain challenges -For example, in your case, your skin is rather stick around your tip due to the abundance of sebaceous glands and fat within the skin itself. So, no matter how well you project and refine the nasal tip  whether by  selectively removing cartilage, adding cartilage grafts and reshaping the tip with sutures, if the overlying skin is thick, the  end result will not be as good. Therefore, the surgeon needs to take this into consideration and judiciously defat the nasal skin so that the nasal tip will not be covered by a thick "sleeping bag" of skin and instead be covered by a thin fabric. 
A confident and aesthetically minded surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty should be able to meet your goals as long as your expectations are addressed.

Asian Rhinoplasty for asymmetrical nose

All of the features of your nose that you are looking to improve are possible with a rhinoplasty. These features are very characteristic in the asian population. Narrowing the nasal bones and providing augmentation to your bridge will help acheive these results. Using cartilage grafts to build up the nasal tip will help refine this area for you. Schedule a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist to get a thorough evaluation including photos and computer imaging to better understand what can be done for your nose. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Very achievable

Hello and thank you for your question.  Everything you stated is reasonable and achievable.  With cartilage grafts, you will be able to define the nasal tip as well as rotate it downward.  For a more prominent bridge, I also use diced cartilage in fascia and would recommend staying away from any kind of alloplastic (not your own tissue) implants.  Good luck and make sure to pick a surgeon that is very experience with Asian rhinoplasty.

Aaron Kosins, MD
Newport Beach Plastic & Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Aaron Kosins, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty

I would generally recommend diced cartilage wrapped in fascia to lift the bridge--it is very forgiving and should be able to camouflage the asymmetric nasal bones and of course it consists entirely of your own tissue.  If you can avoid cutting the bone so much the better.  The tip will need extra cartilage as well to give stronger support underneath thick skin.  This should all be achievable.

Asian Rhinoplasty

Your complaints are very common in Asian patients.  I prefer to use your own tissue, including cartilage, for rhinoplasty instead of silicone implants.  Using your own tissue requires more work and donor sites but I believe the long-term results are worth it.  Your goals are achievable but I recommend seeing a surgeon who is familiar with Asian rhinoplasty.  

Eugene Kim, MD

Rhinoplasty for asymmetrical and wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can address straightening the nose. This is accomplished with osteotomies applied to the nasal bones, and sometimes a spreader graft placed in the mid portion of the nose on the concave side. To build up the bridge requires cartilage grafting techniques on top of the bridge line. Thick skin will be an impediment to seeing a very refined result, especially in the tip of the nose. A cartilage graft also be required help with the asymmetries in the tip of the nose.

Asian rhinoplasty for asymmetrical nose with flat nostrils and insufficient tip projection.

Asian rhinoplasty for asymmetrical nose with flat nostrils and insufficient tip projection. You need the nostrils narrowed as well as your nasal bones and refinement of the tip. In addition to that you need increased projection of the tip using cartilage grafts. See a very experienced surgeon who has good before and after pictures of his results.  Look at the surgeons revision rhinoplasty section as well since your nose is very similar to what is done with a revision based on my 35 year experience doing this.

Asian Rhinoplasty

Asian Rhinoplasty is a popular procedure in my office.  From the limited photos here, it appears that you could benefit from having a rhinoplasty to help refine your nasal appearance - both the profile and nasal tip - as well as help address the nostrils.  From the bottom view of your nose it appears that you may have some deviation on the inside of your nose which may need to be addressed as well.  I would recommend an in person consultation to properly evaluate the inside and outside of your nose.  Please consult with a board certified specialist in Asian Rhinoplasty who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Your nose, what can be done? some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Achieving a stronger, more attractive nose with Asian rhinoplasty

Not only is it possible to achieve what you are looking for with just cartilage grafts from your own body, this is the safest, most predictable and safest method of doing so.  Some surgeons are more adept than others at using your own tissue to create natural and attractive results, so it's important to research Asian rhinoplasty specialists and consult with them in person to determine who you have the best connection with.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD