Is tip refinement in primary rhinoplasty optional?

I just had my pre op appointment for my primary rhinoplasty. My original surgical plan was to have my nasal tip lifted with sutures and hump removed/closed endonasally. Now my surgeon is suggesting that I have cartilage removed from the tip of my nose or moved inward with sutures. I think the tip of my nose looks OK as it is; should I insist on the minimal approach I would prefer or defer to my surgeons expertise on this? Thank you so much for your reply.

Hello ThatGalKatie - Thanks for your question.  It may make sense to have simulations performed of what you think you want the nose to look like and what your surgeon thinks is a good looking nose for you.  If they match, you are on the same page.  If not, I would suggest you stick with what you think you would like best.  Rhinoplasty is irreversible so if you aren't comfortable with the plan, make sure you find a plan that makes you comfortable.  A good rhinoplasty surgeon will work with this type of situation.  Good luck, Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tip refinement in primary rhinoplasty

The nose is a three-dimensional structure, therefore a full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination about reducing the width of the nasal tip. To reduce the bulbous tip requires suture techniques and/or a conservative cartilage removal. Occasionally, cartilage grafts are also used. The tip of the nose is very complicated, so it's important to sort that out prior to undergoing a rhinoplasty surgery. It  is very wise to have another sit-down consultation with your surgeon to set the expectations, so that there is no miscommunication