What are some potential causes for the unplanned use of a cartilage graft in rhinoplasty?

I just had my pre-op for primary rhinoplasty. I am to have my nasal tip lifted with sutures and hump removed/closed endonasally, but there was no mention of grafts in my surgical plan. The nurse had me sign a form to allow my Surgeon to use my ear cartilage to make a graft if something unexpected occurred in surgery. What could happen that would necessitate this? Thank you!!

Ear cartilage craft for a primary rhinoplasty?

In our practice, we have never had to use ear cartilage grafts for a primary rhinoplasty because there is plenty of cartilage left on the inside of the nose for grafting purposes. Nasal cartilage is always far superior than ear cartilage when cartilage grafts are necessary. In addition, the cartilage grafts that are required during the procedure are usually planned out at time of the consultation and examination, not intra-operatively. Rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor,so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience with the procedure.  Communication with your surgeon pre-operatively is very important to understand what's going to be accomplished with your nose. For more information and many before-and-after rhinoplasty results, please see the video and the link below