Which board certification(s) qualify a plastic surgeon to perform a 'safer' Rhinoplasty?

I am scheduled to have primary rhinoplasty in 2 weeks. My surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology. Is it necessary that he also be certified by the ABPS? I read somewhere that that is the only organization recognized by the American Medical Association. Is this a concern? My surgeon's credentials seem more specified for the procedure I am to have. Thank you in advance for your time!!

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  There will be many answers to your question, depending on the background of the surgeon responding.   It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgeon

The American Medical Association has nothing to do with choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon.  Look for a Surgeon who is board-certified  in plastic surgery with extensive experience in rhinoplasty, or a double board certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty. In addition, look at the surgeon's before and after photo gallery, and dedication to the discipline of rhinoplasty. Make sure that your surgeon performs rhinoplasty often on a weekly basis, and has been doing so for many years. Also ask about touch-up rates, and who's going to pay for them. As far as safety goes, is also important ask about where the procedure is being performed such as a Medicare certified outpatient surgery center, not in a clinic setting. In addition ask who is performing the anesthesia, such as a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort. 

Board Certifications & Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Board certification in both Otolaryngology as well as Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery requires completion of at least 6 years of training exclusively in surgery of the face, head and neck.  Reassuringly, the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) does recognize the American Board of Otolaryngology, the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, as well as the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  I would trust your surgeon to perform a safe rhinoplasty if he has established a good rapport with you and has demonstrated experience and expertise with your aesthetic and any functional concerns.  Best wishes to you!

Leslie Kim, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery are two of the most well-respected boards in the world. You can evaluate a surgeon by their level of certification (none, single, double) as well as the number of Rhinoplasty procedures they perform each year. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon