What do I need to make my Mommy makeover, easy and more comfortable?

Getting my surgery done in two days and was wondering is anyone could give me a list of things that helped them through....please and thank you.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Comfortable Recovery

After your #mommymakeover, take some time to rest!  You should not return to your normal exercise or unrestricted day-to-day activity for six weeks after surgery.  Wear your #garment for six weeks as well.Keep ice packs in the house and ask your #boardcertified surgeon what post-op pain killers they recommend.Follow all your post-op instructions for the easiest #recovery possible.

How can you make your mommy makeover more comfortable?

One thing I would strongly recommend is asking if your surgeon uses Exparel.  It is a great local non-narcotic that gets injected into the muscle wall at the time of surgery and slow releases for 72 hours.  It cuts down on the initial pre-operative pain considerably.  Also, to make it easier, I would suggest the use of Embrace silicone gel sheeting system.  That will aid your scars in healing nicely.  Lastly, if you have recliner or something similar, that will be the best place for you for the first few days.  If it is on a floor with a bathroom so that you don't need to trek up and down the stairs, that's even better.  Good luck!

Dr Derby

Important is to have at least 14-15 days post op stay before travelling back home. Comfortable clothes like sweat pants /maxi dresses are great to wear the first days after. You can take some additional medication with you like Tylenol/Advil. A neck pillow to be more comfortable during your sleep. Best of luck    

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy make-over - how to make recovery easier?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Assuming you have someone who will help you for the first two weeks these may help -
  • First, renting a walker will help you walk more easily at first.
  • Exparel injections into the muscle decrease pain enormously - but are expensive. Ask your surgeon.
  • Having Tylenol and Advil are important - they can be used together and with narcotics for better pain relief.
  • Ask your surgeon's office if you need to do more than this.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

This differs for different surgeons, but I would recommend that you get any needed dressing supplies, extra garments, and medications ready before your surgery date. You will need some help getting in and out of bed and showering for the first few days to a week. Make sure that you get up and move around 4 to 5 times a day for a few minutes and when in bed, move your feet up and down and squeeze your calf and thigh muscles periodically to prevent blood clots. Also, make sure that you and your caregiver know how to empty and record the drain output.

Thank you for your excellent question.  Your surgeon should provide you with a list of useful tips and techniques for an easier recovery based on your specific procedures but there are a few things to keep in mind.  The first thing you need is a good assistant at home for the first 1-2 weeks after surgery.  They can help you get in and out of bed, provide you balance while walking and grab you items as you need them.  It is wise to have your prescriptions filled out and ready prior to surgery so that you needn't worry about them.  Dressing supplies to catch any drainage from your incisions is advisable and this may be gauze, feminine napkins, tape, etc.  You may want to consider having a second garment in case your surgical one becomes soiled.  Consider where you will want to rest and recover. If in a bed you will want extra pillows to prop under your back or knees as well as a rope tied to the end of your bed to help get you up.  If you are in a recliner chair practice getting in and out.  Be sure to have a level area that you can walk around in safely after surgery to avoid blood clots.  Have some simple foods readily available to eat as well as lots of liquids.  You may also want to consider a stool softener to avoid bloating and constipation.  Hope this helps.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

Your doctor should be able to provide this information to you, as they know what specific surgery you are having, and knows their own protocols.  I recommend contacting their office.  Congratulations, and best of luck!
Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Pre-op instructions

I have attached a link to the pre-op instructions I give all my patients. Please ask your surgeon for his/her specific instructions as every surgeon has their own. 

Mommy makeover recovery

Planning for recovery is a great idea!  You will want to have someone available to help you around the house for the first few days, longer if you have small children.  Have light meals available as you will probably have a decreased appetite.  Some good ones to consider are oatmeal, soups (lower sodium), yogurt, crackers, and applesauce.  Have a ride arranged for your follow up appointment.  Have your medications on hand, or have someone pick them up for you following your surgery and keep them in a handy spot.  Pillows pillows pillows!  Positioning is helpful.  You'll want pillows to put under your knees and to prop you up somewhat in bed.  I hope this helps.  Best wishes on your surgery!

Camille Cash, MD