Any Hope for Nipple Projection if I Get Breast Implants? (photo)

In 2003 had a breast reduction with free nipple graph. I noticed mass amounts of skin coming off in healing process around and on my nipples. I Spoke to my PS about my concerns, he stated wait a couple of months and my nipple should come through. Well that never happened its now ten years later and still no nipples. Also had lap band surgery after breast reduction. Now my boobs are just flat and ugly. I just want to know what is the best procedure to have with the possibility of any nipple appearance.

Will Breast Implants Increase My Nipple Projection?

Breast implants will improve your the curve of your areola, but will not increase the projection of the nipple itself.  Nipple projection can be increased by injection with fillers, and this may be one of the few places where permanent fillers make some kind of sense.  These fillers can be injected under local in an office setting, and even when they are not long lasting, they give the advantage of stretching out the nipple tissue. 

My favorite technique for creating long term nipple projection is the use of stacked pieces of ear cartilage which are easily harvested in the operating room.  These pieces of cartilage do not require a direct blood supply but live on tissue fluid, therefore they are rarely rejected.  I have found that ear cartilage grafts to nipples are an excellent way to increase nipple projection.

No

Implants will not help with projection of the nipples.  If you are going to use other techniques like it is mentioned in some of the answers make sure who ever you choose for the procedure to show you before/after photos so you can see the difference.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Implants and Nipple Projection

The implants will not improve the nipple projection in this case or at least not a great deal.  You will need some other technique utilized to increase projection.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lack of nipple projection after a breast reduction

An implant alone will not give you any additional nipple projection.  In fact your may have less projection since the push of the implant will widened and stretch the areola.  There are some techniques than may be an option to give your improved nipple projection.  

Correction of nipples, breast reduction problems and the use of implants

correction of nipples, breast reduction problems and the use of implants

i agree with the answers below. implants will improve your breast shape. fat grafts or other fillers can improve the projection of you nipples

jh

Breast augmentation and nipples

From your photos, it looks like you can benefit from a lift and augmentation. Many times the nipples push forward with augmentation,. I have seen it correction inversion in minor inversion cases.

Improving nipple projection

While a breast augmentation can help some women improve nipple projection if they have inverted nipples, it will most likely not provide you with more projection.  Since you had a breast reduction using a free nipple graft technique (that means that your nipple areola complex was completely removed from your breast and then replaced after your breast was reduced as a graft), you no longer have any ductal connections to your nipple.  As other surgeons have suggested, there are other options to improve nipple projection, but the results may be variable.  I would definitely recommend that you discuss your options for both a breast augmentation and a procedure to improve nipple projection with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Any Hope for Nipple Projection if I Get Breast Implants San Diego? (photo)

You've done the hard part: Weight Loss.  Nipple projection is easy from a plastic surgical standpoint to restore.  There are a variety of successful techniques.  In agreement with augmentation mammaplasty to restore volume to your breasts, and alluring feminine shape and proportion.

Steve Laverson, MD

Your breasts will benefit from implants, but in your case will not create nipple projection.

Congratulations on your weight loss! The "new you" looks pretty fabulous; keep up the good work. You certainly would benefit from breast implants, and may need revision of your breast reduction for optimal breast shape, but the presence of implants cannot be expected to give nipple protrusion when previously replaced as free grafts.

Sometimes augmentation implants can help to decrease nipple inversion or even allow some degree of protrusion to be achieved, but in these patients the tissues are entirely present (just tethered), whereas you have no nipple or ductal tissue to "push out" since your nipple areola complexes were detached and replaced as free skin grafts.

Thus, other solutions are needed, and I favor permanent tissue options rather than temporary filler choices. Your tissue choices include dermal grafts, stacked cartilage grafts, or even skate or other flap nipple reconstructions (the latter requiring new areola skin graft reconstructions.

All of these options can be discussed by your ABPS-certified plastic surgeon, who is well-versed in all of the reconstructive options, since we all have extensive experience with post-mastectomy breast and nipple/areola reconstruction, and can apply that knowledge to your specific situation. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Any Hope for Nipple Projection if I Get Breast Implants?

A breast augmentation and lift will give youu a very attractive look to the breasts. The nipple projection is unlikely to ever change.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD