Are there specific tale tell signs to look for when the skin has attached itself back to the muscles?

Is it something you can see or feel? I am a little over 4 weeks post op tummy tuck. I am curious to know if there are ways to know once your skin has reattached back to the muscles.

Thank you for your question.  You are very early in the process of healing.  By now both of your drains should be out and the process of the skin flaps adhering to the underlying muscle has already occurred.  However, these attachments are not strong and can be disrupted very easily.  If this occurs, fluid or blood can re-accumulate in the space that was previously sealed.  This is why close follow up with your plastic surgeon is so important and why we recommend not getting back into strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks.  I hope this helps you.

How do you know?

When you have a tummy tuck, your skin is lifted and removed then reapproximated. The drains that you had were put in place to decrease the fluid retention to an amount that over time can be easily reabsorbed by your body. At four weeks post op your drains have been removed and you've likely been dressed with a surgical garment to apply pressure on your tummy to obliterate the space completely. If you don't have any abnormal swelling or other complications you are healing great and the skin and muscles have reattached.

Thank you for your question and happy healing!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

4 weeks post op

Thank you for your question. You should be assessed in person to ensure that you are healing well and have no fluid build up, etc. At 4 weeks you are early in recovery and follow up appointments are necessary.

All the best

Post of expectations

By four weeks your skin and subcutaneous tissue should have reattached to the underlying muscle layer.  If it hadn't then you would have continuing problems with fluid accumulation.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon