Are there different results of cool sculpting if I get the second procedure done three weeks later as opposed to eight weeks ?

I recently had the cool sculpting procedure done on my lower abdomen. I was told by one doctor that three weeks was good since the body would be already in the process of depleting the fat cells . I was told by another doctor that I should wait to get the full results from the first procedure so eight weeks would be better to get maximum results from the second procedure .

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
the company recommends and the studied time is 2-3 months

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting and length of time between treatment

Coolsculpting and the recommended length of time between treatments has changed since coolsculpting first started.  Initially they recommended waiting 4 months.  Now, coolsculpting recommends 4 to 6 weeks after the first treatment.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.

12-16 weeks for peak results

We recommend waiting 12 – 16 weeks after your Coolsculpting treatment to see peak results in the treated area. Some patients are happy with results after the initial treatment and might choose to do an alternate area instead of retreating the same one.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Hair Restoration Surgeon

8 weeks

Thank you for your question, I have patients wait 8 weeks before a second treatment. Best of luck. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Wait at least 6 weeks

I typically have patients wait 8 weeks before re-treating the same area but will treat as early as 6 weeks if I know (from experience) that they will need to treat the area twice. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Better to wait.

It is definitely better to wait 8 weeks to see your results before doing another treatment. It doesn’t make sense to put the applicators on a tender swollen area that was just treated 3 weeks prior.

Andrew B. Menkes, MD
Mountain View Dermatologic Surgeon

Timing of second CoolSculpting procedure

In general it is recommended that you wait until the results from the first treatment have been achieved.  The amount of time between sessions is not fixed in stone but should be determined by your physician.  There are some physicians who treats a given area twice in the same day.  This is an off label type of treatment but is preferred by some.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Should my second cool sculpting treatment be 3 or 8 weeks after my first?

In our practice we are recommending that the second session of Cool Sculpting be performed four weeks after the first treatment.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Coolscupting Repeat Treatments

It is best to wait till the healing process is completely to do another treatment.  If the body hasn't cleared the original cells then you may waste your money on doing a second treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Time Between CoolSculpting Treatments

Hi Natalie. Think of it this way: you can't re-kill fat cells that are already dead. One the fat cells are killed by the CoolSculpting treatment it takes up to 3 months for your body to clear the dead cells. Although you can treat different areas of the body right away, we don't recommend treating the same area for at least 8-12 weeks after the first treatment. In our experience this approach has provided the optimal results. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon