How can I reduce the bulge and hollow look beneath my eyes? (Photo)

My eyes have always been somewhat big bet after suffering with hyperthyroidism they now bulge. The thyroid had been controlled-I haven't had to take meds for a few years but my eyes haven't gone back to normal. They also appear hollow underneath. Any advice about the best procedure to take care of the bulge and the sunken look in my lower lid? Im ready to regain my self confidence!

Doctor Answers 7

How can I reduce the bulge and hollow look beneath my eyes?

Best to get consultation with an oculoplastic specialist. Bulging eyes from thyroid eye disease can be improved with resultant eyelid improvement. Alternatively or additionally, eyelid surgery can be performed.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Injectable Volumizers & Fillers Can Address Under Eye Hollowess & Bags

From the photos it appears that you lack volume in the mid facial region below the eyes. This lack of "scaffolding" I believe is contributing significantly to the elongated lower lid and bag formation. Accordingly, the use of a volumizing filler, such as Voluma XC, which I would use in my Upper East Side Manhattan office, or Stylage XXL, which I would opt for in my Israel satellite facility, would help to restore the volume in that region and provide the necessary lift and projection to buttress the lower lid above. This would likely by itself improve the overall appearance of the region. To further address the immediate under eye region, I would next treat with Belotero Balance (NY) or Teosyal Redensity II (Israel). The treatment of this very important aesthetic region should not be left to medspas and novice injectors trained only to treat simple, ordinary smile lines with plain Restylane. This is a region that she only be entrusted to expert, experienced injectors. So, be sure to consult with a board certified aesthetic physician and make certain to ask to see his/her before and after photos before agreeing to proceed. Best of luck.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

How can I reduce the bulge and hollow look beneath my eyes?

Hello, and thank you for the question. There are many great treatments available for improving hollowness in the tear trough. Fillers are a great temporary option. Belotero is fantastic for that area, and can yield a wonderful result for the right candidate. An in-person consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice. He or she would be able to determine whether you are a candidate for a surgical procedure. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Lower lid hollow

You have some hollowing in the lower lid which has been exacerbated by the eyes coming forward due to the thyroid.  Some filler into the lower lid such as Restylane will provide some volume there to help make things look smoother.  SHould last at least a year. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

How can I reduce the bulge and hollow look beneath my eyes?

Great question, from the pictures it appears you could benefit from some volume in the mid-face area, would recommend a filler like voluma or another HA, you may be a surgical candidate but would need a in person eval to truly evaluate, good luck and we would love to see you in consultation......

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

How can I reduce the bulge and hollow look beneath my eyes?

Most expert experienced artistic plastic surgeons have a variety of procedures, both non-surgical and surgical, at their disposal to produce excellent cosmetic results in the appropriately selected patient: neurotoxins (Botox or Dysport), temporary fillers like Restylane, long lasting micro-fat grafts, blepharoplasties, and combinations of procedures. There is no one best procedure. Each has benefits and drawbacks and depends on desired outcome and individual anatomy.

In a patient your age, a temporary hyaluronic filler like Restylane  would be a reasonable place to start.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Treatment options under the eyes


      There are several options for treating the area under the eye.  The best depends on what is exactly going on in each patient.  Protrusion of fat, excess skin, hollowing, or a combination of these are common.  For early changes (as appears to be your case), filler is a good nonsurgical option, belotero or restylane are good in this area. This can help smooth the contour and fill early hollowing.  For more advanced hollowing, fat grafting can yield better, and permanent results to the area.  If there is significant protrustion of fat, a lower lid blepharoplasty procedure is generally the best treatment, and can be done with the incision on the inside of the eyelid.  It would be best to consult with a surgeon for an in person exam as balancing the lower lid with the rest of the eye complex and cheek is important. 

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.