I'm considering a breast reduction but don't have big areolas.

Hi, I wanted to know if it's necessary for Plastic Surgeons to cut around your nipples during the procedure?? I'm a 34i and I weigh 150lbs and I need a breast reduction. I want to eliminate as much scarring as possible. Also, I want to know can I just get a lollipop procedure instead of a anchor??

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to undergo #breastreduction. There are various procedures that can be used to reduce breast size, but many times a lift is also necessary. These procedures include an #incision around the #areola to ensure correct placement on the breast.  The size of the areola can be changed at that time, but it is not necessary. Without having the opportunity to evaluate you in person, it would be impossible to determine which procedure(s) would be best for you. 

Generally speaking,  patients undergoing breast reduction or lifting surgery benefit from an incision around the areola; this allows for the nipple/areola complexes to be moved superiorly on the patient's chest wall.  However,  it is not necessary to decrease areola size, when a patient starts with normal size areola size.

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Working together you will come up with a good plan (including the specific "pattern" for the breast reduction procedure) to achieve an outcome that you will be pleased with.

Considering a breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  Without a photo, it is difficult to give you specifics about your case.  However, it is certainly possible to do a breast reduction on a patient with small areolas.  A lollipop scar is also possible.  You should make an appointment with a BCPS who is experienced in breast reduction and get a good opinion based on your examination.

David Steckler, MD, FACS
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Considering breast reduction surgery

Hi,

Successful breast reduction procedures require an incision around the areola. However, the vertical incision is no longer necessary. The Horndeski Method reduces, reshapes, re-positions breasts high on the chest so cleavage without breast implants is achieved. I have attached a short video of a patient who underwent this method to regain a more youthful appearance without the extra cost, risks/complications and maintenance associated with breast implants. Absence of the vertical incision makes for a more aesthetic outcome. The fact that the breast tissue is anchored to your chest muscles (with this method) eliminates tension to the areola minimizing scarring to it. The areolas remain round without being pulled down or deformed by the vertical incision. Feel free to look at my gallery to find a patient with similar dimensions as yours. I hope this helps.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Vertical lift with no areolar incisions?

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• One would have to examine you
  • it depends on the position of your nipples - not their size.
  • To move the nipples into normal position, one needs to cut around the nipple to shift it upwards.
  • And with 34I breasts, chances are your nipples are well below the crease.
  • The need for an anchor incision depends on how much excess skin there is.
  • Have a consultation to see what approach will work for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Yes, if your breast are large but not extreme it is possible to get only a lollipop scar, areola size does not need to be reduced if it is on the smaller size but you do need to have  a scar around the areola .....good luck ! and make sure you see a BC PS, would be happy to see you in a consult.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon