3 weeks post BA. When does the sensation come back in the skin around the breast? (Photo)

I am 3 weeks post op. I have textured silicone (250cc) under the muscle, with the incision under the breast. I can feel the sides of my breasts when i touch them, but i can not feel the skin under my breasts (both) and the skin between my breasts (left side only). My pecs are still a bit tight between my breasts. When should the sensation come back? Is there anything i can do to get the sensation back faster?

Sensation post augment

Don't be too concerned, as this numbness in all likelihood is temporary. In some patients, the sensation takes weeks or even months to return. The nerves are simply stretched, and traumatized, and should "wake up" with time. Massaging the area can potentially help, but rest assured, this showed get better with time.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Skin sensation after BBA

Thanks for your question and photos.  You look to be off to a great start. The sensation changes that you describe are very normal, especially with an infra mammary incision.  Some of the superficial nerves get stretched and cut during the placement of the implants.  The sensation will improve, but many times it can take several months for this to occur.  Unfortunately, there is nothing to do to speed up the process.  Best Regards.  

3 weeks post BA. When does the sensation come back in the skin around the breast?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return.  Try various textures to the area to re-educate the nerves.  

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure.  Hope that this helps. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Loss of Sensation

Dear niecyhouston:
      Thanks for your question.. The sensation changes that you describe are very normal at this stage of your recovery, especially with an inframammary crease  incision. Some of the superficial sensory nerves can be stretched and/or  cut during the placement of the implants. The sensation will improve, but many times it can take several months  to a year for this to occur. Unfortunately, there is nothing to do to speed up the process. Hope this helps and good luck!

Sensation

Congratulations niecyhouston on your augmentation! Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of augmentation you had and what your sensitivity was like even before the operation. If things continue to get worse or you have concerns, it is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. Best of luck, MMT

Sensation of the breast

It can take several months for sensation to start getting back to normal. I would suggest just giving it time.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
its too early to talk about results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Sensation and breasts

Commonly with swelling, sensory changes occur after surgery. When the swelling subsides, normal sensation usually returns.