Will a flex deformity go away on its own?

my sub-muscle implants flex with every slight movement I make, my surgeon wants $6K to release the muscle. I cant afford that now. will they stop flexing at sometime on their own? would they get even worse while I work to save the money? surgeon said not to go to another surgeon as it will cost even more.

Animation Deformity

Animation deformity is an expectation of submuscular implants, and is a worthy tradeoff for additional implant coverage, much lower rates of capsular contracture, and less interference with mammography. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Animation deformity

Animation issues occur with submuscular implants,releasing the muscle may not improve the condition. Sometimes placing them subglandular will help

It will not go away even with another surgery

Flex deformity of breasts is a part of all submuscular implants.  As long as implants are under the muscles it will persist.  Muscle release will not help either.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Animation deformity

From what you described in your post it sounds like the animation deformity is due to having a sub muscular implant. All patients when they forcibly flex the pectoralis muscle will have the implant flatten and extend outward. Cutting more of the muscle although it would relieve some of this deformity may cause exposure of the inner part of the implant near the cleavage where you may uncover some wrinkling. I don't think it's a bad idea to get a second opinion from another plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Implants - Animation Deformity

Your animation deformity with not go away on its own and does require surgical release of the muscle to prevent it from contracting. I think if you are concerned you should seek other opinions as this can help reduce your anxiety about whatever you choose. 

#PlasticSurgery #BreastAug #Implant #BreastImplants #Choosingimplants #recovery #animationdeformity 

Nothing wrong with a second opinion

While I agree that most of the time, your primary surgeon should be able to, and most likely want to, deal with any issues related to your original surgery.  However, I completely disagree with the notion that you should not get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon if you have any questions before or after you have plastic surgery.  It may end up more expensive at another surgeon's office, but they may have different opinions on what, if anything, needs to be done to help you achieve your goals.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Flex deformity

Hello, if you have noticed that your implants move with muscle flexion and this is a longstanding issue, it seems unlikely that it will resolve on its own.  However, you would need a proper assessment to assess the issue and give recommendations.  You could always consider a second opinion with another surgeon since this will confirm your options.

William Andrade, MD