Any suggestions for nasal odor after Rhinoplasty?

i had rhinoplasty almost 4 years ago, and ever since I've had bad nose odor, which has started to bother me for the past few months because it's got stronger. also the inside of my nose gets crusty, and my breathing is getting worse and worse. (I'm planning to fix my breathing this summer) what can possibly be the reason of bad odor?

Odor from rhinoplasty

A foul odor is usually indicative of a foreign body or devascularized tissue.  It is not impossible that the origin is sinus related.  A cursory examination may not reveal the problem.  An otolaryngologist with endoscopic equipment will be best able to thoroughly examine the airway.  

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Odor after Rhinoplasty needs an Examination

Dear Inga96, You need to have an intra-nasal examination to determine the cause of the odor. If you can return to your original surgeon then he/she knows best what techniques were used and if you have any grafts present that may be of concern. Typically odor would be indicative of an infection and you need a proper diagnosis. Your surgeon may suggest using a nettypot to rinse your nose. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Odor in the nose after rhinoplasty

A bad odor in hanging around the nose after rhinoplasty may be crusting or infection. 

Be sure to follow-up with your surgeon so they can examine your nose to make sure there is no infection.

For general crusting, sinus rinses are very effective. Once you nail down the technique, it's a easy, cheap, and safe way to keep your nose clean and odor free.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bad odor after Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. You should definitely have an examination with your surgeon to make sure there is no infection. Assuming there isn't one, the crusting that occurs after rhinoplasty can often cause this odor. A sinus rinse kit like the netty pott would be very helpful in cleaning out your nose and getting rid of the odor. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bad odor after rhinoplasty

Sometimes a bad odor can occur if there is exposure and/or infection of a graft. If possible you should return to your surgeon, or at least get hold of your OP note before seeing someone.

Ronald Schuster, MD

See your surgeon to rule out any infection in your nose.  An in person exam is needed to determine the cause of the odor.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Dear Reader,
Definitely return to your surgeon for a follow up appointment to evaluate if you have an infection. Odor is often indicative of infection. 

Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon