When is there a need for a vertical incision during a Tummy Tuck?

My doctor was explaining the need for a possible additional incision vertically for a tummy tuck. I thought he was suggesting this may be needed because of my petite frame-but was confused.

Fleur-de-lis Abdominoplasty

Great question. A standard tummy tuck removes excess abdominal skin in the vertical direction. In this procedure, excess skin is pulled down towards the pubis and removed. A vertical incision removes excess skin and fat in the transverse direction. The vertical incision can be necessary after massive weight loss or in the case of significant skin laxity associated with stretch marks. It provides for maximum narrowing of the waist.

Fredericksburg Plastic Surgeon

Vertical incision

Sometimes a vertical incision is indicated if you have lost a great deal of weight following bariatric or weight loss surgery.  Many times the skin can be advanced from lateral to medial and excised without the need for a vertical incision.  Occasionally a vertical incision is indicated if the umbilical defect cannot be excised with the specimen.  You should return to your plastic surgeon and ask specifically what his or her indication would be for removing skin and closing vertically.

When is a vertical incision needed in tummy tuck

A vertical incision is needed in two situations:  First, if  a patient has an extreme excess of abdominal tissue generally following massive weight loss.  In this situation, it is sometimes best to do both a vertical and horizontal incision in an effort to redistribute the excessive amount of excess skin.   The second situation is if your have minimal laxity of the skin between your belly button and pubic area.   In this instance you may end up with a small vertical incision which represents the closure of your belly button.   Most patients can avoid this incision by pulling the tissue tighter, but on occasion the tissue will not reach down to the pubic area thus requiring the small vertical closure.   If you have questions about your procedure, always meet with your surgeon a second time so that your are fully informed.   

Carlin Vickery, MD

Vertical incision

Thanks for the question.

I RARELY ever use a vertical incision with an abdominoplasty.  Your surgeon may have been referring to a residual vertical scar where your old belly button hole ends up down by your pubis if you are too tight to advance your skin down.

You should speak to your Plastic Surgeon again to clarify the scar and maybe consult with another board certified surgeon or two for other opinions.

Dr T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Vertical Incision with Tummy Tuck

Without a photo or seeing you in person, hard to say. A vertical incision is sometimes necessary with patients who have lost a considerable amount of weight and have a significant amount of excess skin. The best person to ask is your surgeon who has assessed you in person. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Incision during tummy tuck

There are several situations in which a vertical incision may be needed during tummy tuck.  The first is typically in small patient with minimal excess skin.  The vertical incision exists because when the belly button is incised roughly as a circle and the abdominal skin pulled down the circle (from the belly button) cannot be pulled low enough to meet the low transverse incision.  This circle is typically closed in a vertical fashion and is in the lower abdomen.

The other situation is when a patient that has extra skin and fat in the transverse or horizontal direction typically following bariatric surgery or massive weight loss desires abdominoplasty.  A fleur di lis abdominoplasty can be performed that removes excess skin from the horizontal and vertical directions and allows proper contouring for these patients.

A third situation would be if a patient already has a vertical midline incision such as from previous abdominal surgery.  I am sure there are other special situations that exist but these are what comes to mind.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Vertical addition to Tummytuck Incision

Hard to answer without exam or photos, but usually necessary in patients with limited redundant skin who need full Tummytuck to address weak abdominal wall, or patients with significant redundant skin. Sounds confusing, but easy to explain in person. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Vertical incision and tummy tuck

I will often reserve this for massive weight loss patients and/or patients with a previous midline vertical scar extending to their upper abdomen.

These problems can be seen in any part of body but especially in abdominal area. Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a surgical procedure to make the abdomen thinner and more firm. It consists of removing excess skin and fat tissue and muscle repairing if required. In some patients it can be combined with liposuction. There are several variations of tummy tuck surgery like regular tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck each designed to target certain areas of the abdomen. During the procedure the incision will be made low at about the same level as your pubic hair for the scar to be hidden under bikini level. For improved tightening of the upper abdomen a small incision around belly button might be necessary. Placement of the belly button is very important for a beautiful belly. Tummy tuck operation is also a surgical choice for patients whom want to get rid of love handles. Our experienced plastic surgeons will explain these options and help you find out best treatment plan to reach satisfactory results.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Vertical incision for Tummy Tuck

Thanks for reaching out.  Sometimes when your excess skin requires a tummy tuck but there is not so much excess that the skin from above your belly button will reach the low tummy tuck incision, a small vertical scar will be seen where you belly button used to be attached to your abdominal skin.  Your belly button is cut away from your abdominal skin so the entire skin flap can be pulled down and the excess is cut away.  The vertical scar only comes into play if the hole on your abdominal skin where your belly button used be attached doesn't move enough to be included in what is cut away.  I know this may be difficult to visualize.  Feel free to come in person to talk in more detail.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon