Should I get a mastopexy or an areola reduction? (photos)

I'm 18. I've always been a little self conscious about my areola size but recently I had a baby and my THEY'RE HUGE. I never knew having a baby made your breasts and areola size increase. My breasts were a lot more perkier and a lot lighter and I don't know if they'll go back to normal or not (it's been a few days since I concieved) I feel hideous and I appreciate my old breasts so much more. Should I get mastopexy or an areola reduction if they don't go back to normal? Please help.

Mastopexy: Information

Dear Ms. Rorystory,

Thank you for your story, questions and photos.
I understand your concerns. 

I would recommend waiting 3 months after stopping breast feeding to see what your breast then will look like.

Nothing substitutes for a personal evaluation and a face to face discussion of your options.Unfortunately without a examination I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful.

Mastopexy involves shaping the breast, repositioning the nipple areolar complex(NAC) and when needed reducing the size of the NAC, and by removing excess skin that causes the sag of the breast. The nipple is left connected to the breast tissue.
Depending on how much excess skin and desired shape the three main types:
1)Peri areolar = doughnut shaped scar around NAC
2)Vertical = lollipop shaped scar
3)Inverted "t" = anchor shaped scar
Each of the above techniques involves a progressive removal of excess skin and builds on each other to lift and contour the skin "bra" to the shape of the breast desired.

Breast size will not significantly change because skin is only resected.

The nerve to the nipple areolar complex (NAC) is directly under the NAC and USUALLY not disturbed by removing the excess breast skin during a mastopexy. The surrounding breast skin may have some short term numbness but usually returns.

Current mastopexy techniques will not attain the "upper pole" fullness patients desire. A small augmentation can be added to create this upper pole contour and not to increase size substantially.

Scaring is always a concern. However there are various postoperative "anti scar"
programs to optimize, reduce and treat scars.
In my experience if the desired goals of shape and positioning of the NAC is obtained .... The patients rarely complain about the scars.

I suggest that you collect several "model" or "goal" photos and then make a appt. with Plastic Surgeon, who has experienced and who is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600p

Should I get a mastopexy or an areola reduction?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively.By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast after new baby

rorystory congrats on your new baby,
I believe that you should should allow yourself to wait at least 6 months after breast feeding. I would be happy to schedule in a consultation then and decide what is the most appropriate for you to consider to feel like your old self again.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

You should allow yourself to wait 4-6 months after breast feeding. Consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Areola reduction/lift

Thank you for your question and photos. Throughout pregnancy and after giving birth you can expect your breasts to change. I would recommend that you wait a full 6 months afterward and after breastfeeding if you do so, to book a consultation. At that point you could discuss what you would like to change with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Mastopexy or areolar reduction

First off, congratulations on the birth of your baby. Breasts can change significantly with pregnancy and with breast feeding. Decisions about contouring the breast should not be made until breast feeding is complete and you have achieved your new stable weight. This is usually not before 3 months after stopping breast feeding.

The difference between reducing the areolar diameter and a circumvertical lift is a scar that runs from the areola to the fold. This may be necessary if the nipple position becomes lower or the breast begins to sag below the breast fold.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in the next few months to begin the discussion and formulate the plan to help you achieve your desired results.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast changes after pregnancy

Breasts and nipple-areola complexes (NAC) can change dramatically before, during, and after pregnancy. It is best to wait for six months after you complete breast feeding to see how your breasts have changed and if any surgery is necessary. If you are planning on having additional children, you may also choose to wait since new pregnancies can also affect your breasts after surgery.  Ultimately, it is your decision whether you would prefer to have surgery to make your breasts and NAC appear similar to the way they were before pregnancy. Breast surgeries frequently requested by mothers include a mastopexy with areola reduction, augmentation, reduction, or a combination of different procedures. Congratulations on your new baby!

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Yes, pregnancy causes increased areola size in most women. The photos indicate you are still engorged with milk. You should not be evaluated for surgery until you have gone at least 4 months without breast feeding, allowing your breasts to shrink and adjust naturally as much as they are going to.  

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breasts will improve

Your breasts will keep improving after nursing ends. Hang in there and make a visit to a plastic surgeon.
It will take some months to settle down and you can think about surgery.
However, another pregnancy will alter a perfect mastopexy.

Since you just delivered a baby, you need to give your breasts time to settle. If you are breast feeding, wait until 6 months after you stop to make any decisions about your breast. Otherwise, wait about 6 months to see what changes your breasts will have. Congratulations on your new baby!

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon