Would I be a good candidate for labiaplasty revision surgery? (Photos)

I had surgery in August everything was going well until a stitch opened up. It's been three months and I still don't like my results. I feel as though they can be a bit shorter. What would the cost be? Thank you.

Labiaplasty revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It appears that you had a very conservative posterior wedge labiaplasty with some separation of the suture line on the right side. 

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Your present dissatisfaction is due to the specifics of the wedge technique used by your surgeon.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you your ideal appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I would certainly reduce your labia more and some of your clitoral hood. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Labiaplasty revision shopper wants more reduction

There's plenty there to revise. How much to take depends on how much you want taken off from the labia and the hood. Wait until you're six months out to proceed. Look for an expert. 

Would you be a candidate for a labiaplasty?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for your photos.  In my opinion your surgeon could've removed more skin.  Your results are ok but very conservative.  A secondary labiaplasy would be a good choice for you.  Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in labiapalsty procedures.

Revision labiaplasty

I would suggest waiting a full 4-6 months before a revision. If you choose a new surgeon the revision will cost as much as the original labiaplasty.  Taking too much is worse than too little so be careful with how much more you want removed. Best wishes.

Should I have a Revision? Cost??

Whether or not you have a revision is up to you and your satisfaction (or lack thereof). Minor revisions may be effected after ~ 3 months, but you should wait for 5-6 months before entertaining a major revision.  For you (looking at your pics), either a curvilinear or V-wedge with incorporation of clitoral hood would work well. Your reviion would essentially be a "re-do" and would require the same amount of work as a primary labiaplasty. In our office in Northern California, we would charge somewhere between $5000-$6000 "out the door" price (includes facility, anesthesia and surgeon's fee).

Michael P Goodman. MD

Davis, CA, USA

Good Candidate for Revision of Labiaplasty (Photos)

Thank you for posting your labiaplasty photos with your interesting question .  It appears that you have a fair amount of labia minora tissue remaining with hyperpigmented and irregular edges. Although the amount of labia minora reduction is highly personal, I have found , since 1997, that most of the woman requesting this procedure desire a smaller, smoother and less hyperpigmented edges, if possible. If you feel that you want them further reduced, it can be done safely and most often under local anesthesia. I suggest that you return to see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performed your surgery and carefully discuss your results and goals. Often it is helpful to show a photo from the surgeon's before and after labiaplasty portfolio, to your surgeon to review. This offers a second chance to customize your results and ultimately achieve the results that meet your expectations. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift 

I don't like my labiaplasty results - what do I do now?

Hello Purplerain Girl,

Thank you for your post with photos. Yes, you are a great candidate for Labiaplasty revision. You are lucky that you were NOT botched, you just didn't have enough labia removed and your hood was not addressed. In my office we have a 6 month policy of revising anyone who isn't thrilled with their results. Your labia were reduced, but not enough to your liking (or mine). You may ask your surgeon to see if he/she can do better, but this will depend on your degree of confidence that this will be done to your specifications

I perform labia reductions in the office under local anesthesia. Every woman is shaped differently and requires her own unique cosmetic correction.  What is often overlooked by most surgeons is the prepuce, or clitoral hood, which may require reduction and even lifting to achieve the optimal youthful appearance and enhanced sensation for ultimate pleasure. Based on your photos you certainly need clitoral hood reduction with clitoropexy at the time of your repeat Labiaplasty. By doing so, your hood will be smaller and then the labia may be reduced in proportion. This is the art in creating beautiful results!

Our costs are as follows: Labiaplasty is $5,500, Clitoral hood reduction is $3,000, combined Labiaplasty and Clitoral hood reduction is $7,000.  We perform labiaplasty in the office under local anesthetic to dramatically lower costs.  You do not need an I.V.  This means you will not have anesthesiologist or hospital costs which can add $2,000-$3,000 to the overall cost of the procedure. Hospital fees are based on time, this is not an issue in my procedure room so I am not rushed in creating your masterpiece. This also allows you to travel unaccompanied to Denver and to the office on the day of surgery since you would not receive any mind altering anesthetics. This further insures your privacy. There are financing options available.

Please see link below for additional information for patients who travel from out of state or outside the country.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Labiaplasty Revision

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Based on your photographs, labiaplasty revision is a reasonable option considering your current appearance after surgery.  I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.   

Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Revision Surgery aka Botched

Dear Purpleraingrl37:

You are certainly a candidate for revision surgery as it does NOT appear there was any work done. It appears you labia minora still protrude beyond the labia majora. I learned from a study  99% of women wanted their labiaplasty not protruding after the labiaplasty surgery----this was their post operative expectation.  Though this is NOT always achievable it is achievable in most patients. This is the art of the surgery and it really is based upon your anatomy and surrounding structures such as the labia majora and clitoris and clitoral hood.  I might also recommend you have your lateral prepuce reduced - this is the skin on each side of the clitoral hood.  

1) Labia minora reduction - the two most common techniques are linear resection and a wedge resection. based upon your photos and you desires I would recommend a linear resection. Each surgeon has their own technique and their technique coupled with artistic talent is what gives a woman their results.  Based upon a study  99% of  the caucasian woman ( of which I assume you are based upon your photos--  though i might be wrong) wanted their labia reduced so they no longer protruded beyond the majora and 99% preferred a lighter skin color i.e. pink versus dark.  Of  course I would ask you personally on what you hope to achieve as you might not be in agreement to 99% of caucasian women.

2) Lateral prepuce reduction ( can be seen on my website) - which is the extra layer of tissue lateral to the clitoral hood known as the prepuce.  Obviously this is again your decision, but it has been my experience that patients get a better cosmetic results if when they have lateral prepuce it is reduced concurrently with the labia reduction. 

The average cost to reduce the labia minora is $4500 and if the prepuce or lateral prepuce needs surgery that would be another $1500.00. You would also need to pay for anesthesia and the operating room. In my practice I do not do them in the office because I believe I get the best results in the operating room but it is still an outpatient procedure . .  Do not choose the cheapest or closest surgeon choose a surgeon with experience.  I encourage you to follow this website everyday for 2 weeks and note how many patients are upset and angry with the results of their labiaplasties supposedly done by experienced board certified surgeons.  Board certification doesn't mean you have experience doing surgery on the vulva/vagina.  Board certification is not given on ones ability to perform surgery only ones ability to take a written exam. 

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai