I had breast augmentation one week ago and my breasts appear asymmetrical now. What can be done to correct this?

I had transaxillary augmentation using 375 cc silicone gel implants. My right breast looks very natural. My left breast is much higher and less flesh below the nipple and to the center of my chest making the breast fuller and higher above the nipple. It is higher than the other breast one week after surgery. I have significantly more pain in the left side than the right.

Breast augmentation one week ago and my breasts appear asymmetrical.

Early on in healing asymmetry is fairly common as there are asymmetries of the breast before hand, often subtle in the shape of the skin envelope. These will tend to smooth out and become even over time as the breast relaxes and conforms to the implant.

Discuss this with your surgeon but give it at least 3 months for things to settle as some assymetry is common right after surgery. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

1 week post op

One week post op it is not unusual for the breasts to appear high, distorted, slightly asymmetric, and for them to feel a bit different. If you are experiencing concerning pain or note increased swelling and bruising appear on one side, let your Plastic Surgeon know so that they can evaluate you.

All the best

Thank you for your question.  Nothing replaces an in-person examination but the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume.  It is very common for this to take place sooner on one side than the other.  If there has been a significant change in your left breast's appearance since surgery then I would definitely recommend seeing your surgeon, but otherwise hang in there and allow more time to pass.  Your results will finalize in appearance at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Asymmetry at one week

No matter how hard we try as plastic surgeons, it's very difficult to make both implants settle the same and hurt the same post surgery. This, in my experience, has not been a problem and usually by 6 to 8 weeks everything will even out. Keep following up with your chosen plastic surgeon and congratulations on your breast surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Give it some time

When you see your plastic surgeon in follow up he/she will likely advise you to be patient.  Some degree of asymmetry, especially shortly after surgery, is commonly seen.  After giving adequate time for the breasts to reach their final shape and form the result may be excellent.  If this isn't the case a minor revision with repositioning of the implant may be required but it would be premature to start planning this. Hope it all turns out OK!

Scott Thellman, MD
Lawrence Plastic Surgeon

Assymetry One Week Following Breast Augmentation

The two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.
Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period.You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

I had breast augmentation one week ago

Thank you for your question.  You are way to early in the recovery process to make any decisions on the final outcome.  The best advise at this point is to bring these concerns to the attention of your board certified plastic surgeon and continue to follow the recovery recommendations.  Hang in there and know that your breasts will change shape during the next 2-3 months.

Daniel Kolder, MD
Camarillo Plastic Surgeon

1 week post op

Thank you for your question. At this time it is still too early to tell what your final result will be. I would communicate your concerns to your surgeon. 

Best wishes
Theo Nyame MD

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Post breast augmentation

At only 1 week it is still early in the healing process after breast augmentation and some asymmetry is to be expected. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change along with cleavage. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon