I am allergic to Restylane. What other options do I have in terms of fillers for my nasolabial folds?

What are the least allergenic fillers? How can you test them to check you will not react?

Doctor Answers 5

Fillers options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear rubyred7,

Thank you for your clinical post. It is unusual to be sensitive or allergic to the Hyaluronic Acid sugar gels as they are a natural component of your body. However, your cross-leaking agents are not and if there is an allergy it’s usually to these. There is a possibility that you will not be sensitive or allergic to Juvederm and you may be able to try a test spot. If HA gels are not an option you could consider autologous fat and fat transplantation to the nasaolabial folds is an excellent option. Other injectables that do not require surgery from a donor site could include Calcium Hydroxylapatite or Radiesse or Polylactic Acid or Sculptra. It is important that you seek consultation with an experienced injector who has multiple products that they could deploy.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you are allergic to Restalyne or hyaluronic acid fillers, you can try Radiesse or Sculptra.  But I would start with a small test patch area behind your ear to make sure you are not allergic to those as well.

Allergy to Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many patients who are allergic but are not allergic to Juvederm or Sculptra.  Both of these products work extremely well in the nasolabial areas.  Please consult an experienced board certified dermatologist who has experience with these injectables for the best cosmetic results.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. You should consider trying PRP (platelet rich plasma) if you are allergic to hyaluronic acids (ie Restylane). This is the use of components from your own blood to fill in areas. The other option is Radiesse for filling in the nasolabial folds. Speak with an experienced physician who uses multiple fillers and PRP. Good luck.

Allergy to Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  It is possible to have allergies to Restylane although it is uncommon.  My first choice, given you history would be to use Radiesse.  Radiesse comes in different sizes and if you are very concerned, you could have a small quantity injected into your forearm as a test procedure before having it injected into your face..

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 138 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.