Having a breast reduction and lift. My surgeon is taking 500 gm from each breast. How long will I be under general anesthetic?

I am having a breast reduction and lift. My surgeon is taking 500 gm from each breast. How long will I be "under"

How long does a breast reduction take?

You should ask your surgeon what he/she estimates your surgery time will be. The time for the operation varies from surgeon to surgeon. For example, on average it takes me about 3 to 31/2 hours. Good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Your plastic surgeon, will be your best resource when it comes to specific/relevant information in this regard. Duration of surgery will vary;  average range is probably 2.5 to 4 hours. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast reduction lift

Most surgeons will perform this procedure in 2-4 hours depending upon the complexity and assistance available to help close the incisions.

Breast reduction -- how long will it take.

Surgeons operate at different speeds so i can't help you too much. In my own practice the average 500 G breast reduction will take about 2 1/2 hours plus or minus  1/2 hour. When my own patients ask me this question I tell them this average, but I also tell them I will take as long as I need to be happy with the result. Hopefully your PS will tell you the same.

Good luck with your surgery.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Length of Breast Reduction Surgery

The technique used, and the type of surgical assistance your surgeon has as well as your particular anatomical factors will determine the length of your surgery. A breast reduction will usually involve s general anesthetic of one and a half to two and a half hours. 

It is very safe and patients are very satisfied with the results. 

Good luck 

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Breast reduction

About 2 hours give or take.  This depends on a few factors that are dependent on your anatomy.  You will enjoy your transformation.  Breast reduction is a very satisfying procedure for women who deal with all the issues from large breasts.  good luck. hope this helps.

Dr V

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  This is something you should ask your surgeon.  The time to do a breast reduction can vary depending upon the technique used, if one has a surgical assistant and the amount of tissue to be removed.  In my practice it can range from 1.5-2.5 hours.  Best of luck to you.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon