Breast reduction - is it common to have swelling around your rib cage?

I am 3 weeks post op. My compression bras I bought from my PS office were loose enough prior to my surgery and are way to tight to wear now. I have bought the genie bra a size bigger that what I thought would fit, also too tight. None of my pre surgery bras fit around the band....all to tight. I wear a camisole bra, much like a tub top with spaghetti straps. I am aware there is swelling in your breasts after surgery, under arm boob, but is it common to have swelling around your rib cage too

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. Yes, some swelling around the rib cage can certainly be seen after breast reduction surgery. Of course, whether this is normal swelling in your case specifically, cannot be determined online; your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Bra postop

Yes it is normal for the back to swell postop and it will take some time for this to settle. You could use a back extender while the swelling settles. You may find that a tight bra may be causing the discomfort around your rib cage.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
3 weeks after Breast Reduction, it's not time enough to express a valid opinion of results.
On the other hand, generally to avoid the normal p.o. swelling, I recommend to limit the arms movement for two weeks. 
Also it's not advisable to carry weight and take the antiinflamatory painkillers drugs.
Finally, I recommend you always use a therapeutic bra.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling after breast reduction

Yes, swelling in the general vicinity of your surgery is common. This can take several weeks to months to settle.  Best of luck.