After a breast reduction how long before total physical capabilities are back. I'm 69 years old, slim and in good health?

Breast reduction

Most patients can go back to light duty within about a week. They can then start light aerobics by about 3-4 weeks, and heavy exertion by about 6-8 weeks.  

Breast reduction recovery time frame and post-op activities

The discomfort eases up by the fourth day and patients are usually back to work in an office setting on the fifth day after surgery. Three weeks after surgery, I tell them that it's OK for them to do aerobic activity (treadmill, stationary bike, etc.), running and lower-body weight training. Women are usually comfortable doing arm exercises (upper-body weights) starting about six weeks after surgery. All activities are full speed ahead at this point, including swimming. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Hope this helps and good luck.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

After a breast reduction how long before total physical capabilities are back.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  To answer your question: much will depend on what you mean by "total physical capabilities".  I find that most patients are back to most of their usual activities by the 4-6 weeks post op mark; as you can imagine, this will vary from one patient to another.  For more specifics, discuss exactly what activities you wish to return to; your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource.  Best wishes for outcome that you will be very pleased with.

69 yr breast reduction back to normal

The 69 years is less important than the slim and in good health.
Assuming the operation goes well and there are no serious complications. I would expect most patients (including 69 yrs old) to be 60% recovered at one month 80% at 6 weeks and 95% at 8 weeks.
In the first month activity is usually limited to walking. In the second month one would hope to build up activity to near normal by 2 months.
If you are a vigorous sports person e.g. tennis and golf you may need longer but I would hope the great majority of patients would be back to full activity at 3 months.
There are never guarantees with recovery after operations and clearly complications could affect recovery. You should discuss your expectations with a suitably qualified and experienced plastic surgeon and follow the advice of the surgeon you choose to do your surgery.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon