Effects of breast surgery on meningiomas?

Hi, I had a mastopexy and abdominoplasty 18 months ago. I have multiple meningiomas all small and assymptomatic. 10 days after surgery I had an epileptic crisis. It was due to edema on the brain. It was treated with steroids and keppra. The edema disappeared and i have not had any other crisis. Now I am considering a secong corrective surgery because one of the breasts is not right, anyone can offer any advice on what to do to prevent another instance of brain edema?

Breast scar Revision

I appreciate your question.

You might consider this under local but would speak to you neurologist. 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Seizures after Breast Surgery

Your unfortunate problem is rare indeed.  Before you embark on additional surgery, consult with your neurologist to see if surgery is even advisable considering what happened postop last time.  Both your neurologist and plastic surgeon should discuss this with each other and with you prior.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I'm sorry to hear about this, but it seems that yo have had problems in the past after your first procedure, I will recommend you to be checked by your specialists before having more surgeries that cannot end well.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Postop epileptic crisis

Hello, it sounds like you had a serious problem after your last surgery.  I have not had a patient with this exact issue but I think that your surgeon and neurologist would need to discuss whether this problem is avoidable by changing your medications or other treatment.  They will also be able to advise whether it is safe to have further elective surgery.

Preventing seizures after elective surgery in patient with multiple small meningiomas

Thank you for asking about your mastopexy revision.

I am sorry this happened about your first operation. You need to see your own neurologist after surgery and s/he needs to tell the surgeon what to do to reduce the risk of this happening again. You may need the medicines given at the time of surgery instead of waiting for a possible crisis.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS