Botox to forehead 3 days after upper blepharoplasty (skin removal only), safe or can it cause overtightness to the eyelids?

I would like to perform Botox to my forehead, mainly for the frown lines, but I'm wondering if some Botox is applied above the brows, particularly the brow tails, can it pull the eyelid skin? Would I be better off if I just get it for my fownlines (between the brows)? I know I should give myself time to heal after the upper bleph surgery, but I have no other option but to get Botox 3 days following the surgery. Note: lids are slightly swollen; & sutures to be removed 4 days following surgery.

Botox After Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. I do not recommend having Botox until you are completely healed from your surgery. The Botox can spread to surrounding muscles causing adverse effects, such as inflammation and swelling. I would discuss this with your surgeon to determine the best treatment plan for you. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox After Surgery

Greetings M.M.  Thank you for this question.  As with any surgery, there is swelling.  It is advisable to wait a few weeks to allow the swelling to diminish before have any Dysport or Botox.  Best Wishes, Dr. Aldo :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Botox After Bleph

3 days after surgery is a bit too early to get Botox to the forehead... I would advise you to wait for a couple of weeks and allow yourself to heal a bit...

J. Wethe, MD

James D. Wethe, MD
Torrance Plastic Surgeon

Botox After Eyelid Surgery

I advise my patients to wait 2 weeks after upper eyelid surgery to get botox.  This is to avoid any complications.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Within 3 days of upper bleph, don't do Botox

There is still tissue edema and swelling. This will increase the possibility of spread of the Botox. It is possible the Botox goes to areas it was not intended to go and then it would take 3 months to reverse. I'd wait at least a couple weeks from the surgery to get Botox.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox after blepharoplasty

I would recommend waiting until the swelling and inflammation from the surgery has healed to prevent any chance of spreading Botox to nearby muscles causing unwanted effects. Good luck.

Renata Wix-Harris, MD
Livingston Physician

Botox after blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question M.M. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Please consult with your surgeon to see what he/she recommends. There is another option other than getting Botox 3 days following the surgery: not getting Botox 3 days following the surgery. Safety is always the priority and I would go with your surgeon's recommendation. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox To Forehead 3 Days After Upper Blepharoplasty (Skin Removal Only), Safe Or Can It Cause Overtightness To The Eyelids?

Thank you for your excellent question and congratulations on your recent surgery.  I would not recommend receiving Botox until after you have recovered from your surgery.  The issue is the potential spread of Botox to surrounding muscles caused by the presence of normal post-surgical inflammation and swelling.  Please be sure to discuss with your plastic surgeon in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Christian N. Ford, MD
Cohasset Physician

Botox after blepharoplasty

I would not have Botox injection so soon after your surgery. The swelling and inflammation from the surgery could cause the Botox to diffuse to nearby muscles resulting in an adverse effect. Discuss with your plastic surgeon the appropriate time for you to get Botox which should be after everything has healed.

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Botox after surgery

First, I would not suggest having botox or any other neurotoxin that soon after surgery.  The issue is that the tissues are in a healing phase, and swelling may cause the botox to permeate into an area or muscle that it is not intended.  When I teach my courses in Botox and neurotoxins, I explain to the attendees that one would not want to put any injectable into tissues that have inflammation or recent surgery.  Putting botox into muscles pre operatively is fine however.  Also, Botox will not overtighten skin.  It relaxes the muscles and can reduce the appearance of lines that are created with animation.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon