Is it possible for cosmetic Botox injections to cause depression, anxiety, or panic attacks?

Hello, and thanks for your question. I am not aware of any data to suggest that these are side effects of Botox, though I do encourage you to discuss them with both your primary care physician and your dermatologist. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and anxiety/depression

Thanks for your question. If anything, some anecdotal evidence seems to point toward Botox injections improving mood.  To my knowledge, there is no association with worsening of panic attacks or mood disorders.  I recommend you talk to someone about your feelings and experiences so they can find a way to help you.

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and depression

I am not aware of depression or anxiety attacks caused by Botox injections. you should see your family doctor

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Can Botox injections cause mental health issues?

Good Morning hummingb1,

There is no known or hypothetical pathway for Botox to cause depression, anxiety or panic attacks. These concerns would need to be addressed with a mental health professional and may be beneficial for you to seek such help before continuing with further Botox injections. Best wishes. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Botox does not cause depression or panic attacks

There is no mechanism by which cosmetic Botox would CAUSE depression, anxiety or panic attack. If you have experienced such episodes in the past then I would suggest you consult your mental health professional and not seek cosmetic treatment until your conditions are well managed.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Botox cause depression

Botox is not known to cause depression or anxiety atracks.  If you are having depression or anxiety attacks please see your physician as there is help.

Best Dr. L 

Andre Levesque, MD

Botox Does not Cause Depression, Anxiety, or Panic Attacks

• Botox is a great way to rid patients of unwanted wrinkles of the forehead, between the eyebrows, and around the eyes ("crow's feet") and even "bunny lines" of the nose.
  • Botox,  however, does not cause depression, anxiety, or panic attacks. 
  • Definitely meet with a physician to discuss your concerns.  They will be able to help you manage any depression, anxiety, or panic attacks.