Can I have breast augmentations if I've had a p.e in pregnancy?

i had a dvt which went to a P.e in pregnancy since then I self admisitored proflolatic clexaine during two other pregnancies n have been fine but with my history is it safe

Breast Augmentation after PE

Yes, with precautions.  Depending on your situation and history, your surgeon may want you to see a hematologist to coordinate a surgical plan.  This may include a blood thinner along with standard preventive measures that are common with all patients to prevent risk of thrombosis or embolism.  The best place to start is with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Breast augmentation

I appreciate your question.
You can safely have surgery but would require a blood thinner as well as compression stockings, squeezers and early ambulation.
We would work with your hematologist to come up with a protocol.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast Augmentation and PE Risk

Yes, you can still have breast augmentation surgery.  There are some precautions that should be taken.  Make sure that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and have them coordinate with your hematologist.

John Ward, MD (retired)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Yes, breast augmentation after pulmonary embolus

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you.

The preoperative evaluation will allow you to obtain clearance and directions of how to proceed. With 3 kids you may need a breast lift which can be a much longer operation.

So first you need to see a surgeon to determine what surgery, and how long, then determine how to manage this.

A straight breast augmentation should only take about 30-35 minutes and not much will be required.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and PE

Yes. Schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss the augmentation and have he or she coordinate with your hematologist.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast augment after PE

Short answer is yes. In a procedure that takes less than an hour, and should not require any post decrease in mobilization I would think the risk of pulmonary embolus would be quite low. I would certainly ask for the advice of your hematologist. All plastic surgery procedures usually have some degree of compression stockings to prevent deep vein thrombosis. For larger procedures, in patients who have a history of deep pain thrombosis with pulmonary embolism, Lovenox which is a blood thinner can be used. I recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and PE risk

Thank you for your question and the simple answer is YES but will require cooperation between your surgeon and hematologist

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast Augmentation and Pulmonary Embolus

Breast augmentation surgery can be performed even with your previous history of a PE but you will need to discuss this with your plastic surgeon and your hematologist.  Hopefully, if a complete work up had been done before they you may be easily cleared for your surgery, but if a work up has not been done then your hematologist can figure out if one needs to be done and what needs to happen from there.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

History of P.E. with pregnancy, can I get a BA?

You can get a breast augmentation, but you need to be evaluated and "cleared" for surgery by your hematologist.  Your surgeon will want to make sure your risk of a recurrent P.E. is as minimal as possible.  Also, precautions during and after surgery should be taken.  These include, but are not limited to, the use of sequential compression devices during surgery and walking (for 10-15 minutes every two hours) and drinking lot of fluids (so you go to the bathroom 5-6 times per day) after surgery.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation in the setting of previous DVT/PE

Hi, sweetiejar.
Thanks for your question.
Breast augmentation can be done safely; however, you need to be evaluated by hematologist to find out why you got the DVT/PE and find out the appropriate prophylactic treatment for your breast augmentation.
Please share your medical history and your hematologist's recommendation with your plastic surgeon.
Best regards.