Swelling after gynecomastia surgery? (Photo)

Hi,I had my gynecomastia surgery 1 month ago.My chest is swelled badly.It is not recovering.I am disappointed.Doctor said,there is no seroma in your chest.You should wait 6 months to see the final result.I request u to give me the solution.is this unusual?what should I do?thanks

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.
The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.
Additionally, your doctor may place tape or foam over the incisions, which can be removed on day 3 or 4, before your first post-op appointment.
If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery?

Although I understand your concerns, I think that your plastic surgeon has given you good advice. I'm glad that he has evaluated It's you clinically and ruled out any complications that may be causing the swelling.  Time and patience will likely be your "best friends". Otherwise, close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be key. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery?

Swelling may persist for a few months and needs to be evaluated at a 2-3 months interval but if a partial excision of the gland was performed or only liposuction was the treatment, you may need additional surgery. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery

Your photo does appear to demonstrate some residual swelling. This is not uncommon after gynecomastia surgery and generally should be treated with compressive dressings. in approaching gynecomastia the two major issues are volume reduction and skin reduction. Often surgeons will initially employ volume reduction and allow the skin to retract on its own over 6 months to a year. While this is a successful strategy, occasionally skin excess will persist and requires revision. At your stage, I recommend watchful waiting for all of the swelling to resolve with consideration of revisionary surgery in 6-12 months if you remain dissatisfied with your results. Keep your appointments with your surgeon who will work with you to achieve the results you desire.

Joseph Parks, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon