Should we stop taking finpecia while planning for kid ? Can long term usage of fin impact kids/female partner ?

Propecia and babies

I have been doing a little digging on the potential for finasteride birth defects.  I checked with the FDA on what has been reported, and consulted with several other hair physicians and male sexual health specialists around the world.

Here’s what I found: No one in the group of doctors has seen or heard of a report that the finasteride in semen from taking propecia caused a birth defect while having sex when the partner was pregnant.  The FDA’s own website addresses this question on page 2/14 where it states:

Semen levels have been measured in 35 men taking finasteride 1 mg/day for 6 weeks. In 60% (21 of35) of the samples, finasteride levels were undetectable (

Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finpecia and children

There is no evidence that men on finasteride have an increased risk of having child abnormalities while on the drug and getting their wife pregnant. This becomes a personal decision

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon