Why is my new growth thin post a hair straightening treatment?

I got my hair straightened a year back which was over processed and the new growth on the back has been thinner than before..what could be the cause of this? Could there be damage to the scalp or any inner layers that's causing the thinning in certain areas ..near the nape of my neck? Does it eventually grow back thicker? Iam taking hair supplements but apart from that is there any treatment for it? P.S: I did not have any scalp burns post the straightening

Hair loss after straightening- why?

There are two main reasons why someone has hair loss after straightening: 1) damage to the fiber itself (called trichorrhexis nodosa) which causes it to be more fragile and break easily and 2) damage to the follicle and surrounding scalp. Please see a dermatologist to better evaluate. In many cases of such stories, both causes are relevant. And in many cases, a scalp biopsy is extremely helpful to better evaluate for inflammatory and scarrinf changes

Hair loss after straightening- why?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hair straightening

hair straightening can damage the hair and the scalp such that the hair may never grow normally. That is why when this is done, it most be done carefully and best done by a professional

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair straightening

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon