I am a 20 year old female and have androgenetic alopecia. What are the treatments I can look for? Hair transplant? PRP?

I lose 100 strands of hair daily, when I shampoo it increases to 180-200. I have been having hair loss since I was a teen, it was because of sebum though. The doctors have told me I have almost reached stage 3 balding.I have hair thinning on the top of my head and have also lost a lot of hair on the sides. Bald spots are becoming noticeable now. I want to stop hair fall as well as look for hair regrowth. What are the options I can consider?

Doctor Answers 4

FUE and maintenance treatment

Hi Lavu,

Thanks for your question.  First, I would see a hairloss expert if you have not done so already to make sure that you do not have an underlying reversible condition.  Hair follicle infections, autoimmune disorders, biotin deficiency, etc.  If all that is negative, you may be a good candidate for FUE.  Younger people actually have better outcomes so this would be a good time to consider FUE.  In addition, new technology is evolving in the area of topical growth factors, Lower Level Laser Therapy (LLLT), and nutrition.  At our clinic, we provide a comprehensive approach to not only hair restoration but also a maintenance program.  Best of luck!

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.  The Internet cannot give you treatment options without an actual examination.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

20 year old female with thinning hair

You need to have a doctor look at your hair under magnification to see what the follicles look like.mWe are treating a lot of men and women with Capillus 272 and seem to be stabilizing the loss and increasing volume etc...

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Hair loss in females

Female hair loss is a complicated problem that requires a doctor to evaluate you and deal with a complex differential diagnosis. I have written very extensively about this (see below).

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.