Bad healing after gynecomastia surgey. Fluid coming out of incision. Sudden swelling after massage under areola. So worried.

I am now seven weeks post gyne surgery (excision+lipo). Initial weeks it was flat but had fluid build up under areola on one side, my doc said it will go away by itself and it did reduce in size without aspiration, Now after 7 weeks he told me not to wear compression garment and massage it. I did the same and it suddenly swelled a tiny ball size.. today i noticed that incision spot it slightly wet(minimal fluid leaking). I called him but he refused to drain it,said it will go away.What to do? :(

Bad Healing at 7 Weeks Post-Op

Hello, and thank you for your question. Here are some common post-operative healing issues that can occur with this procedure:

• Asymmetry during the healing process
  • Lumps or firmness under skin
  • Prolonged swelling (edema)
  • Skin Pigment changes
  • Prolonged redness of the incision
  • Blood clots
  • Hematoma
  • Breast contour or shape irregularities
  • Anesthesia risks
  • Infection
  • Scarring
  • Fluid accumulation
  • Persistent pain
  • Temporary or permanent changes in breast or nipple sensation

And some definitions of these issues:

Contour Abnormalities: Although the doctor will make every effort to give you a “perfect” result, the area of excess tissue removal may end up with a contour that is slightly too high or too low. You may feel the “edge” around the areolar dissection. Massage and time (4-6 months) usually eliminates or reduces this problem, if it occurs.

Reduced sensation of nipple: Any surgery of the breast can lead to reduced nipple sensation. Reduced sensation is usually temporary, but may take months to resolve. In unusual cases, some permanent loss of sensation may occur.

Recurrence of Breast Enlargement: This is uncommon, but can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery later.

Seroma Formation: A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Harness Within Breasts: Postoperative scarring within the breast tissue may cause areas of hardness. Occasionally, areas of hardness, when discovered later may cause worries about cancer. Mammography or even biopsy is occasionally indicated.

Now, one of the best things to remember is that if you find yourself concerned at all about the healing process at any point you should visit your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that everything is progressing as it should. There can always be complications, but revisions are possible if needed. Best of luck.