7 wks po - can I expect more improvement with texture of my Areolas? Also, which is better silicone scar tape or gel? (photos)

I am 7 weeks post op with a breast lift. I had some bruising and my Areolas look harsh. I've been using Biocorneum for the last few weeks, but have not noticed any difference. It could be because the gel rubs off easily into my clothes? Given this, do you think taping them with a silicone tape such as Embrace may be more effective for softening them up? My own PS does not believe in scar therapy, but he's given me the go ahead to try whatever scar treatment I'd like. Thanks for your time.

Why waste your time and resources on scar products

when your scar remains a fine line?  But if you insist on doing something, you received a lot of advice for the other respondents and can try those products.  And if you want to know if it really works, just use it on one side and use moisturizer on the other side.

What can I do to make my scars better?

I have been recommending ScaRxTape for my patients for their scars. I use Steri-strips for about the first two weeks and then switch them to ScaRxTape for about three months. This has proven effective and very inexpensive compared to other scar/wound therapy available. Also, the silicone gels are messy and soil clothing as you have experienced with questionable improvement. The silicone sheets many times do not stay on. ScaRxTape will usually stay on for even up to a week so you just need to replace it as necessary. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Potential Scar Treatment 7 Weeks Post-Op

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce redness and thickness while improving healing. If your own surgeon will not complete scar treatments, then if you are looking for an external process it maybe good to seek out another local board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation on any of these procedures. Good luck.

Scars after Breast Lift

At 7 weeks following breast lift surgery there are many forces at play. Your body creates inflammation to help in the healing process. This leads to swelling. You still haven't resolved all of your swelling at this stage. Also your scars are very young. They will soften and lighten as time passes. You will notice that the upper portion of your areolar scars will be thicker longer due to rubbing from the bra. 

I am not a big advocate for silicone scar treatment. It certainly won't hurt the scars but it is not cheap. Usually time, sunblock and moisturizers will do the trick! Patience. 

Brian Kobienia, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Tape Therapy Works

Tape, either cheap paper or moderately expensive silicone, mechanically supports the scar which has a positive effect on scar appearance over the first 3 to 4 months. Don't worry, you look good so far, and should have a vast improvement as time passes. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Which is better silicone scar tape or gel after breast lifting?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast lifting procedure; based on your photographs, you seem to have a very nice early outcome with good healing scars.  I tend to prefer silicone sheeting over gel when it comse to optimizing incision line appearance. Best wishes.

Embrace scar therapy for 7 week old scars

I have found Embrace to make a tremendous difference - I was also reluctant to try it with my patients, as I felt like I was getting good scars already.  However, I found out that my patients wanted the ABSOLUTE BEST scar possible and I have been pleased to find that we are getting even better scars with Embrace.  The device can simply be placed over the entire areola, and we have some patients that have treated their scars well beyond the recommended eight weeks following surgery.

Scar therapy of areolas

To begin with, you will not see any noticeable improvement in your scars until you are 3 to 6 months out; the first month, you should have Steri-Strips in place; at 1 month I would start on aggressive silicone therapy (sheets better than gel), at 3 months you can consider steroid therapy or IPL.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Great question

You have a beautiful result.  I like both scar creams and the silicone strips for post surgical scars.  7 weeks is early and it is going to look better with time.  Good luck!

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon