It's been about 3 weeks since I had my BA, is it normal to feel tingling ?

Underneath my breast are warm at times. Also my areola area and breast are extremely sensitive, if my shirt or bra presses up against them.

Tingling/sensitivity

It is common to feel sensitivity and/or numbness and tingling as your breasts are healing. Share any concerning changes with your Plastic Surgeon and they can let you know what to expect as you continue to heal.

All the best

Sensation after BA

It is normal to have altered sensitivity after augmentation, and frequently there is increased sensation, as you are experiencing.  If the implants are under the muscle, there can be significant stretch put on the sensory nerves, which can be irritating.  This is likely the cause of your tingling. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Nicholas Husni, MD, PhD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Tingling and warmness

Tingling may occur in some patients if they had some numbness post-op. This could be related to resolution of swelling. As for warmth, that might be early signs of infection and the tingling can be related to that. Best to be seen in person.

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
Its too early to talk about final results with only 3 weeks post op. 
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your symptoms.  After an augmentation the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the increased volume of the implants. This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different nipple and breast skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling. These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time. Hang in there and be sure to mention these issues to your surgeon during your post-operative appointments.

Sensitivity

Congrats on your augmentation! Sensitivity, itching and tingling can happen for many reasons and it depends on the type of augmentation and how far out from surgery you are. It also depends if there is any sign of infection, redness or skin changes. Interestingly, sometimes itching is a sign of recovering nerves in patients who have had changes in sensation following augmentation. It can also be associated with just the expansion of the skin and breast tissue depending on where the implant was placed. Good luck, MMT

Marissa Tenenbaum, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

What you are describing is not uncommon at 3 weeks post op and does usually resolve as your heal. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Sensations following breast augmentation

All of the sensations you describe are within the range of normal following breast augmentation surgery.  Tingling, twinges of discomfort, nipple and areolar sensitivity, are all common this soon after having implants.  I would expect that most of these sensations will diminish considerably by the time you see your plastic surgeon again, but most definitely bring them to their attention at your next follow-up appointment if still bothersome.  Best wishes for improvement and a great result!

Alyson Wells, MD, FACS

Sensitivity after BA

Thank you for your question. It is quite normal to have changes in breast and nipple sensation after breast augmentation surgery. These tend to diminish over time with your sensation returning to normal. Be sure to bring up your specific concerns with your PS at your next visit. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon