Is picosure the best treatment for this tattoo? (Photo)

I have had the tattoo for 11 years, I have two I want removed I'm starting with the smaller of the tattoo because i want to see how I respond. How many treatments do you think it will take? Red ink treatment, what's the best laser? Are there anyway to Maximize effectiveness?

Picosure 755 and 532

The best option for your tattoo is treatment with Picosure 755 Alexandrite which works remarkable well for greens/blues and blacks. The red component would do best with the Picosure 532 wavelength.  The laser will fragment the ink and then your body's macrophages will cart the fragmented ink away to clear.  This is the component that is hard to predict as every individual has their own innate ability in clearing ink.  With that being said, tattoos located more centrally on the body (as opposed to distal location) and tattoos that have less ink density clear quicker.  Using the appropriate wavelength and pico pulsed laser also helps to fragment the ink to smaller pieces to enable the body to clear quicker. 

Huntersville Ophthalmologist

Tattoo Removal Lasers

My preference for laser tattoo removal is with the PiQo4 laser that has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 532 wavelength for red pigment. From my professional experience Pico lasers help remove ink faster and safer then older laser systems. The average number of sessions with these advanced laser systems is 4-6 but it varies person to person. I have been practicing tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

PicoSure is the best for tattoo removal.

Thank you for your question. The PicoSure laser is the latest in tattoo removal technology. Tattoos are made up of ink that has been placed into the deeper layer of the skin, the dermis. This layer of skin is not shed like the upper layers of your skin, but remains in place, which is what makes tattoos permanent. In order to remove them, the cells that hold the ink have to be removed. The Picosure laser is able to do this in fewer treatments then older technologies, typically 4-8 sessions at 4-6 week intervals. It can also easily and effectively remove nearly any pigment color from nearly any skin type or skin color. One of the most difficult colors to remove is often dark red, but the PicoSure laser can target even those dark red colors. I recommend consulting with a qualified physician in your area for a full consultation.

Bruce E. Katz, MD