What can be done so that my nose won't take up so much of my face? (photos)

Are multiple procedures needed for a smaller bridge? Rib grafting? Chin implant? I'm also hoping that w the nose job that my face won't look as long. My eyes are small and my nose only helps to make them look even smaller. I love my cheek bone and like to bring those out w a nose job. Is that possible?

Facial Harmony

Facial harmony is an essential goal in facial aesthetic planning. You have some nasal features, width and fullness, which seem to be out of proportion to the ideals. Proper analysis and surgery can correct many of these factors. To assess this accurately it is important to have a consultation and explore your goals to determine what is possible and realistic. 

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Balancing the nose with the face

Balancing the nose with the face is always the goal.  It appears that your nasal bones are slightly wide and the tip appears to be slightly wide and lacks support.  During your consultation with your doctor she/he will determine the best treatment plan based on your anatomy, skin thickness and attainable goals.  Computer imaging is somewhat helpful as well as seeing pictures of other patients that have been operated.  Some of the pictures of wish goals have very different anatomy and skin thickness.  Again, in person examination will determine if these are attainable. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from alarplasty to decrease the width of your alar base and osteotomies to narrow your mid nasal bony vault. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty for thick skin

The challenge with thick skin is that even if definition is created to the nose and cartilage underneath the skin, these changes will not show through the skin.  In these cases additional support and structure is necessary to create definition in the tip of the nose.  Using grafts made from your own cartilage will be the best approach for a natural-appearing, lasting result.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Narrowing of the nose

Thank you for your question. As an artist I like using the reshaping technique when performing rhinoplasty. Using advanced suturing techniques I Can change the shape of the  nasal Cartilages giving a thinner, more refined natural looking nose.  In addition I can reduce the width of the nasal bones and I can reduce the width of the nostrils giving you a slimmer look. I like to find out from the patient what they don't like about their Nose. I then examine the nose and write a detailed operative plan. I incorporate the FINNESSE technique which I invented. Bleeding, bruising, and postoperative pain is minimal when compared to traditional technique It's not uncommon that some patients have no bruising after surgery. I hope you find this useful.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Thank you for the question and photos. In order to guarantee the most reliable and individualized medical advice, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination. Rhinoplasty can certainly reduce your nose as well as reshape the bridge and nasal tip. Some patients choose to combine this procedure with a chin implant for more spectacular results. In some cases, even slight changes to the shape of the nose can produce a dramatic effect on appearance, improve your breathing, and fill you with self-confidence. As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi. 

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

A rhinoplasty can help narrow your nose a bit for you.  The base can be reduced using an alar base procedure which can treat both flare and width. The upper 2/3's can be narrowed as well.  Best of luck.

Making the nose smaller

The nose can be made smaller with a rhinoplasty that would include making your bridge and the base of your nose smaller, refining your tip, and augmenting the nose to provide more projection.  A rib graft may not be necessary if we use excess cartilage from your septum and temporal fascia which can be taking from a small incision behind your ear.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon