Lip injections or lip shortening surgery? (Photo)

I was wondering if lip injections would take away from the length of my philtrum or would I need to have lip shortening surgery? Maybe a both? I feel my upper lip is out of proportion to the lower so injections is something I know I need, but will it make the philtrum appear shorter??

Lip lift or fillers

From the photo you provided, it does appear as though you may have a long philtrum length and the lip lift would solve that. The ultimate candidate for a lip lift wants their teeth to show, so if that is the goal . . . a lip lift is what you would probably want to consider. Fillers alone won't address that concern.

A lip lift alone may indeed make your lips more proportional as well, but that would be reevaluated after the procedure.

Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns, your goals, and your specific options.

Best wishes!

Fill Injections are the Simplest Method for Lip Enhancement

The simplest method for lip enhancement is a filler injection (e.g. Restylane Silk). It is temporary and will have to be repeated. If you are wanting to have more show or visibility of the red part of the upper lip toward the corners then a lip advancement procedure is a great option. A sub nasal lip lift will shorten the vertical distance of the white upper lip but does not adequately address the down turning at the sides of the upper lip. For this reason at times a sub nasal lip lift may be combined with a lateral lip advancement on either side. While lip lift procedures that increase the show of the red part of the lip give a fuller look injectable filler can also be used at a later time for a greater volumizing effect.

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

I think you might be better off having lip augmentation with fillers.  Your lip length does not appear too long. Best of luck.

Lip Injections

Lip injections should do the trick and is a much easier procedure than the lip surgery which has complications and leave many patients unhappy and cannot be reversed.  I would start with lip injections and see if you like the result before choosing anything permanent at such a young age.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip augmentation

I appreciate your concern, you have a very pretty face, so I would recommend conservative lip augmentation with Hyaluronic Acid, like Juvederm plus. Another option is fat transfer which is more permanent. Lip shortening surgery can result in bad scars, I am not a fan. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, Good Luck

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Lip lift

Thank you for your question.  As you probably already understand, fillers to the lip will increase the volume of the lip, but if you don't like the length of your philtrum, you will not see much of a change without a lot of filler and thus making your lips significantly larger.  You will see a very modest improvement as the red lip rolls outward, shortening the white part of the lip on frontal view, but this will account for 1-2 mm before you end up with "duck lips".  Lip lift procedures are not without their drawbacks either.  Consult with a facial expert who can guide you through the process.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon