Labiaplasty not improving at 6 weeks?

Hi, I've asked a few questions earlier in my healing process but now I'm at 6 weeks and things have seemed to come to a hault? I had major improvements up until about week 3/4 and since then things haven't really changed. The incision line has almost disappeared but the swelling/hardness/tenderness where the incision was is still the same. My labia is literally still rock hard and very very tender where the stitches were. I have faith this will resolve but when can I expect that to be? Thanks!

Feeling after labiaplasty

This is not an unusual complaint. Most patients do experience firmness at the scarring this soon after surgery. This will resolve by 4-6 months after surgery. While time is the most important aspect during this process, you may also consider scar massage with vitamin e oil and I would also recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon. Most important- be patient!Cheers!

Labiaplasty: Outcomes

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear of your current issues. Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary opinion, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that means traveling.  Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. In consideration that there may still be some more time for healing, you should follow doctor's instructions for post-op healing while also taking any questions and concerns directly to their office. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well to help reduce any swelling, but with discomfort or pain the best thing to do is a live visit to your surgeon for healing to be evaluated. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. 

6 week post labiaplasty hardness and tenderness

You have been through the toughest time of the recovery, the first 6 weeks.   However all surgical incisions go through a period of "induration" when the scar can feel thick and firm and then a phase of  "remodeling".   This can take up to 3-6 months.   Be patient and you should continue to see further improvement.   The recovery process can also vary significantly from one person to another and depending on the details of the technique that was used.  If you are concerned, you should schedule a follow-up with your surgeon to be sure the process is progressing normally. Best wishes!

Labiaplasty Healing time.....

Although things look great and finished on the outside, healing continues under your skin for at least 6 months and even up to 1 year.   The swelling and pain should be entirely gone by about 3 months.   Gotta be patient.  All sounds normal

Labia & hood suture lines still indurated ("rock hard...") and tender at 6 weeks post-op

Hi,  Odds are greatly that, over the next 3-4 months, all will smooth out & soften. (Yes, it takes this long for the inflammation caused by the deep layer of sutures to resolve.) Personally, I and many very experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeons have switched from the more reactive Vicryl (which is easier to work with & tie, but is more reactive) to monofiliment Monocryl or PDS small-caliber (5-0, 4-0) sutures underneath. More difficult for the surgeon, but much less reactive; less long-term swelling.
P.S. If you correspond again, PLEASE SEND PHOTOS. Tough to guide you without pics...
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Sorry to hear.

Unfortunately, your description is a bit different from what we generally see or would expect. I would strongly suggest a follow up with your surgeon. In our own experience, patients feel about 75% recovered within ten days, and essentially 95% or more recovered by around 4 weeks. Depending on the technique used, there may be more swelling or scarring, but your surgeon should be able to address your questions. If you remain concerned or dissatisfied, please consider a second evaluation by an experienced gyn surgeon or plastic surgeon who routinely performs labiaplasty. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty 6 weeks post op

Thank you for your question.I would recommend consulting with your surgeon with any questions or concerns you may have as they know your medical history and surgery best. If there is still swelling your surgeon may want to prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to reduce the swelling. I would continue to ice the area on and off daily but it may take up to 3 months until you have fully recovered. I would advise you to see your surgeon for a physical examination and just keep an eye on the swelling/hardness/tenderness and if at 3 months you are still unhappy with your results, you may wish to consider a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Hard labia after labiaplasty?

Blood trapped within the tissues beneath the scar has probably solidified. This is uncommon, but will soften slowly.

Swelling/hardness/tenderness at 6 weeks post Labiaplasty

Hello Kate,Without a photo it is impossible to give you specific advice or assurances. I can say, however, that it is NOT uncommon for there to still be firmness at 6 weeks, especially where there are sutures dissolving. Sutures do take 3 months to dissolve. What I often tell my patients at 6 weeks if there are areas of firmness that are otherwise healing well is to keep an eye on it, but to anticipate that area to be as soft and natural as the rest of the are by 3 months postop.  Follow up with your surgeon for your postop check.  Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist