Is my labiaplasty healing normally? What is this? (photo)

I had wedge method labiaplasty done on the 12th and it's now the 15th. I've been in bed 24/7 ever since. One part of one side seemed to sting and be more tender than the other, when I looked down there seemed to be a stitch sticking out. Took these pictures today and I freaked out when I saw that the side has this weird lump of skin and also what looks like a stitch sticking out. What's going on here? Is this normal? Did a stitch rip out. I don't want it to heal like this!!

Post-Op Labiaplasty Healing

Hello and thank you for your question. It has been a little while since you posted so I definitely hope that things have started to get a little better. If not, then I would definitely recommend visiting your surgeon, as you should definitely be up and on your feet! Best of luck to you, and make sure that you get all of those questions and concerns taken care of.

Strange scar appearance after wedge labiaplasty?

Your labia are swollen and a few sutures are visible. This is normal in the first week after surgery. The flap of "extra" skin on the left side looks a little strange, but doesn't appear infected. Let everything heal for another six weeks before you judge the aesthetic results.

Looks Great!

Little difference between side to side, little stitch at the edge. NBD. no bid deal. You'll have a great result. You had a great surgeon I can tell. Lots of ice and elevation. You're golden. Nice work in your search to find a good doctor!

4 days post op

Thanks for sharing.  All appears normal as everyone who gets labia reduction surgery has sutures and just because you see them does not mean they are problematic.   The extra piece of skin does not look normal but then again there is a very good chance the piece will just slowly fall off and your natural ability to heal will take over and new skin will arise.  Try to relax at this point all looks good....do remember it is difficult to assess a patient with 2 dimensional photos.  Best of Luck
John R Miklos MD

Urogynecologist  & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Swelling

It appears you had a wedge type labiaplasty performed. Swelling is very common after labiaplasty. This swelling can distort the tissue quite extensively. You should never make a judgement about the final appearance of the labia within the first few weeks after a labiaplasty had been performed. Best to wait. After 6 weeks, it will look close to what you're going to end up with, but the best recommendation is to wait 3-6 months before you make a final assessment. At that time, if you are unhappy with the appearance or there is some asymmetry, you should then discuss this with your surgeon to see if further adjustments need to be made.  
 I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia, it looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively they experience less pain in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below. Good luck. 

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Is my labiaplasty healing normally?

It has only been a few days since your procedure, which is much too early to make a determination about your outcome.  There's nothing particularly concerning in your pictures. There is swelling and suture material evident, however this is normal so soon after the procedure.   You can always call your surgeon to discuss it with him or her for reassurance.  You also need to get out of bed and move around a little so you don't develop a blood clot.  Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Is my labiaplasty healing normally? What is this?

Thank you for your question and photograph and congratulations on your labiaplasty.  I can understand your concern but your current appearance is normal for 3 days after surgery.  You have done a good job of minimizing swelling and the area of fullness that you feel is your incision repair site.  Depending on your surgeon's technique they may have left a stitch alone the edge of your repair that is causing your current irritation.  As your results mature over the next several weeks you should see improvement in the thickness of the tissues along the incision as well as flattening and softening of the skin surface.  I know waiting is difficult, but allow your results time to mature over the next several weeks before assessing your long-term results. Hope that this helps