I am 9 weeks post op from full Tummy tuck with tightening and liposuction. Still have drain and massive swelling. (photo)

I see my surgeon weekly, the swelling just seems to get worse, sometimes painful. The left drain is still in and will go from pulling 25 cc's to 70 cc's in a day. Right after surgery, I was flat and it looked great, now the swelling is all the time and painful at times. He has given me 3 different rounds of cipro. Should I get a second opinion. I am concerned about the final results and my health.

Tummy tuck complications

Dear Baltimorian,   Thanks for submitting your before and after pictures.   From observing your pictures, it appears as if your muscles were not tightened or if they were so, for some reason the muscles loosened up and your stomach is bulging out.  I have been in practice for 29 years and performed tummy tucks on over a thousand of patients. I do not use drains for tummy tuck surgery but rather quilting sutures, however I have never heard about a drain being left for 9 weeks !  The drain should be removed and most likely the drainage will stop.     As far as your outcome and the protruding stomach, you will have to have to re tighten your muscles if you want to have flat stomach. You have lost the main advantage of tummy tuck which are improvement of body posture and weight loss due to the muscles tightening that reduces the amount of food that you can eat and the sense of hunger.   Based on your history and your result, it is in your best interest to consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who perform lots of tummy tuck surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with flat stomach, low scar and nice belly button. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience report.                      All the best,                                     Dr Widder   

I am not use to leave a drain more than 7 to 10 days the most. So is rare for me to read about you having a drain for so long.I would recommend you to wear a compression garment during the day to limit edema and to have an Ultrasound  to look for a collection of fluid. Keep an open communication with your PS and talk about your concerns.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.At this point (2 months post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If  after six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD