I want my silicone breast implants removed.What's the cost to have them removed if I didn't have a breast lift at the same time?

Silicone implants under the muscle in 1986. Re implanted above the muscle in 2008.  I am 66 years old

Breast Implant removal (Explant)

Breast implant removal may include the removal of the capsule to decrease the risk of fluid accumulation after surgery.If the implant is under the muscle then dissection of the muscle and re-attachment of the muscle back to the chest wall to re-establish normal anatomy.All options should be discussed with you and then the plan for surgery and the cost of each option

Implant removal

The fee for removal of implants will vary form surgeon to surgeon and also depending upon what needs to be done during the surgery. Best to be evaluated in person.

Cost of implant removal?

The cost of removing your breast implants will vary based on your geographic location.  Nevertheless, the cost can range between $4500.00-$6000.00 depending on your specific requirements.  Typically, when a plastic surgeon quotes you a price it will include surgeon's fees, operating room/facility, fees, anesthesia, and post-operative care.  Whether you would require a lift at the same time to achieve a good aesthetic result is something that you would be able to discuss with your surgeon.  Definitely consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Compare costs very carefully

Often it is not the best approach to find the cheapest plastic surgeon. Does the surgeon specialize in this procedure? What are their credentials? How long have they been in practice? What percentage of their practice is cosmetic surgery? How many of these surgeries have they performed? Do they use the latest techniques? What do their results look like? Do they have photos to show of their work? Do they provide follow-up themselves, or will you only see the nurses (or even just an assistant)? Are they available by phone for an emergency or does one of their staff answer after-hour calls? What is the impression you get from their office and staff? Are they professional and informative? Do they know what they are talking about? You need to ask yourself all of these questions.

When comparing quotes from different doctors, check to make sure that the costs you are quoted are for the same thing! Check to see what type of anesthesia and facility you are going to be treated in. If the total price is lower but you are not going to receive proper anesthesia from a board certified anesthesiologist, then are you getting a better deal (or inferior treatment)? If the facility is not a certified outpatient surgery center but is an in-office procedure room, is the difference in safety worth the cost reduction? If the doctor is not a board certified plastic surgeon, is that worth the discount in the fees? I would say the answer to all three of these questions is no!

Assuming you are talking about a board certified plastic surgeon with plenty of experience in implant removal with capsulectomy, you need to find someone who you trust. This is your body, make sure you are making decisions based on the quality of care, the experience and training of the doctor, and proven results! Cost alone should not be the deciding factor.

The prices can vary from state to state, and from city to city. Our costs, including the board certified plastic surgeon's fees, board certified anesthesiologist's fees, operating room, labs, scar gel, vitamins, and follow-up at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and every year after that forever, are around $7995. If you need more follow-up appointments, those are free as well.

Breast Implant Removal

Thank you for your question. Breast implant removal cost can vary from surgeon to surgeon. It also depends on whether your board certified plastic surgeon believes if you need removal of the capsule in addition to the implant removal. This is usually done if the capsule is firm.  The cost is usually made up of the surgeon's fee, anesthesia and facility fee. Your surgeon can go over the procedure and all associated costs with you. Good luck to you.

Implant removal

Hello and thank you for your question. The cost of the procedure varies. I would suggest you discuss this with a surgeon in your local area. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

The self pay cost of explantation with total capsulectomy is $6000 to $8000 depending on OR and anesthesia time in most locations.  Insurance will cover this procedure if complications of cosmetic surgery are not excluded so in that case it would be your insurance copay.

Susan Kolb, MD