I lost 150 lbs. I want to have arms, legs and abdomen skin removal. Can it all be done at the same time?

Can arms, legs and abdomen all be done in one procedure?

Thank you for asking about your body lift.

• It is possible to do two, and perhaps three of these procedures at one time depending on what needs to be done, your health.
  • Doing all three is a lot and you will find it really hard to be up and around, increasing your risk of complications.
  • But first have one or more consultations to see if this is the right plan for you.
  • After so much weight loss, you may need a lower body lift, not just abdomen surgery.
  • In this case, the entire surgery is unlikely to be done at one time.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Body contouring

Hello and thank you for your question. If you are in good health and have full clearance from your medical doctor, then this may be a good idea for you.  I highly recommend an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

After 150 lbs. weight loss, can multiple body contouring procedures be done at the same time?

It is not uncommon to perform more than one body contouring procedure  in a person with massive weight loss.  Whether or not you could have your arms, thighs, and abdomen done at the same time would depend upon how extensive and how long the contouring of each area would be.   You need to see a plastic surgeon with experience in treating patients with massive weight loss.  Good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Combining body lift procedures on the same person is ultimately possible!  Planning these operations requires the surgeon to estimate the benefit to you, and the risk to you and to the surgeon who should be not only your surgeon but your doctor as well ,  Benefit of doing all these surgeries at once is usually a lower total cost, and the usual risk if that complications do occur more frequently as operations become longer, particularly infections, blood clots and lung problems. The obvious answer is that you want to maximize your gain and result and minimize the risk to you. Ask you surgeon if he does a lot of this particular type of operations and I am certain a straight forward honest answer will be forthcoming, and  to your advantage.

Body Lift

An in person examination is needed to assess the extent of each surgery. Then a plan of action based on the physical examination and your desired look.

My recommendations is to separate the surgeries to decrease the risks of complications and obtain the best result possible

Arms, legs abdominal skin removed in one surgery

Yes, if you are in good health otherwise. I will not do that in one surgery, without 2 teaming it. I bring in another surgeon who is experienced as well, and we each work independently, but checking the other side to make sure we achieve symmetry. We each work with our own nurses and assistants. For one surgeon to accomplish the procedures you want in one operation is in my opinion, not achievable. You want to keep the procedure under 6-6.5 hours. Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Post massive weight loss body contouring

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. If you are at an ideal weight and healthy then the can be done although not ideal. There are few surgeons in this country who will do that. I happen to be one of them. Whomever you choose make sure they have plenty of experience with these types of cases.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Massive Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss! Combining procedures after weight loss is very common, if you are having your surgery performed by someone who specializes in body contouring after weight loss and is used to doing these combined cases. We specialize in this in our Life After Weight Loss Program in Pittsburgh. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon who focuses on treating massive weight loss. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon