I lost 150 lbs. I want to have arms, legs and abdomen skin removal. Can it all be done at the same time?

Weight loss contouring

A common first line of attack for patients who have lost weight is a body lift procedure. Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy = lower body lift.   This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  I often perform buttock auto-augmentation at the time of a body lift.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has extensive experience in body contouring after weight loss to learn more about your options.  

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Skin removal with multiple procedures

Yes, it can all be done at the same time.  If you could provide pictures, we could give you an estimate of the duration of the surgery.  Congratulations!

Dr. Dillon

Paul C. Dillon, MD

In my experience of 20 years, this is too much to have done in one day for several reasons. After this amount of weight loss, most patients need a circumferential lower body lift and not simply a tummy tuck. This will include outer thigh lifting but not inner thighs.  On some patients, this is enough for a single operation and recovery.  You must be able to care for yourself after, so the decisions for which procedures to combine also depends on the recovery afterward.  You do not want to compromise your results from one procedure because of a second one. After lower body lifting and inner thigh lift, you will need to use your arms to get in and out of bed and for self care. But you need to rest and elevate your arms after an arm lift. So some combinations of procedures are counter productive. These recommendation can only be given accurately after a consultation with an exam to see what your particular surgical needs are and then to plan a course of treatment.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in this type of surgery.  Best wishes. 

Janet Woodyard, MD

Play it safe

It may be possible to do all at the same time, but this sounds fairly extensive.  Obviously, it depends on your overall health, current weight, age, and the extent of each procedure.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation but don't be surprised if you're advised to stage these procedures (more than one operation). Long operations increase your risk of complications during surgery and the recovery period.  When in doubt, I would always suggest erring on the side of safety.

Scott Thellman, MD
Lawrence Plastic Surgeon

Can arms, legs and abdomen all be done in one procedure?

Thank you for asking about your body lift.

• It is possible to do two, and perhaps three of these procedures at one time depending on what needs to be done, your health.
  • Doing all three is a lot and you will find it really hard to be up and around, increasing your risk of complications.
  • But first have one or more consultations to see if this is the right plan for you.
  • After so much weight loss, you may need a lower body lift, not just abdomen surgery.
  • In this case, the entire surgery is unlikely to be done at one time.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Body contouring

Hello and thank you for your question. If you are in good health and have full clearance from your medical doctor, then this may be a good idea for you.  I highly recommend an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

After 150 lbs. weight loss, can multiple body contouring procedures be done at the same time?

It is not uncommon to perform more than one body contouring procedure  in a person with massive weight loss.  Whether or not you could have your arms, thighs, and abdomen done at the same time would depend upon how extensive and how long the contouring of each area would be.   You need to see a plastic surgeon with experience in treating patients with massive weight loss.  Good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

COMBINATION BODY LIFT SURGERIES

Combining body lift procedures on the same person is ultimately possible!  Planning these operations requires the surgeon to estimate the benefit to you, and the risk to you and to the surgeon who should be not only your surgeon but your doctor as well ,  Benefit of doing all these surgeries at once is usually a lower total cost, and the usual risk if that complications do occur more frequently as operations become longer, particularly infections, blood clots and lung problems. The obvious answer is that you want to maximize your gain and result and minimize the risk to you. Ask you surgeon if he does a lot of this particular type of operations and I am certain a straight forward honest answer will be forthcoming, and  to your advantage.

Body Lift

An in person examination is needed to assess the extent of each surgery. Then a plan of action based on the physical examination and your desired look.

My recommendations is to separate the surgeries to decrease the risks of complications and obtain the best result possible

Arms, legs abdominal skin removed in one surgery

Yes, if you are in good health otherwise. I will not do that in one surgery, without 2 teaming it. I bring in another surgeon who is experienced as well, and we each work independently, but checking the other side to make sure we achieve symmetry. We each work with our own nurses and assistants. For one surgeon to accomplish the procedures you want in one operation is in my opinion, not achievable. You want to keep the procedure under 6-6.5 hours. Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon