I am considering a lower blepharoplasty. Will it eliminate the wrinkles and hollow look?

Will the surgery eliminate the wrinkles and hollow look below the eyes and above the cheeks?

Eyelid Wrinkles and Hollowness

The lower eyelids change as we age. We lose fat along the lower bony rim and the skin thins. Eliminating the "bags" and the shadows beneath may require either filling a hollow or reducing some of the fat which is pushing out. Injectable fillers (Restylane, Belotero, etc.) can often be used to disguise these bags. Therefore both non-surgical and surgical options exist. To determine what is best for you I would rcommend an in-person consultation to identify your needs and priorities.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lids

The lower lids are a challenging area and should always be considered as a unit in conjunction with the midface (as opposed to the lids in isolation).
There are many variables with regard to aging changes in this area, including volume loss, tissue descent, hollowing, and tissue laxity (among others). Depending on what issues pertain to you, there are several different treatment options, both surgical and non-surgical.
In many situations, surgery (including lower blepharoplasty) could be a good choice. Your best bet would be to meet with an experienced oculofacial specialist for a thorough in-person consultation in order to discuss what options would be best for you.

Kenneth E. Morgenstern, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty. Will it eliminate the wrinkles

A lower eyelid blepharoplasty can often make larger wrinkles and folds of the skin disappear. However fine lines may persist especially when you are smiling or crinkling your eyes. These fine lines are etched into the architecture of the skin and very difficult to remove with surgery. There are techniques that may improve hollowness although sometimes following lower eyelid blepharoplasty fillers are necessary to finesse the result.

Hollows under eyes

Thank you for your question. It will be hard to give you more specific advice without a photo, however you may have surgical or non-surgical options. Blepharoplasty can facilitate removal of excess skin if present, as well as fat pads in the case of protruding bags. If your problem is a hollowed look, you may want to consider injectable fillers or fat-grafting instead.

I recommend that you book an appointment and meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who is skilled in this area. They will examine you, discuss your aesthetic goals and recommend options.

All the best

Wrinkles and hollows

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your concerns.  Lower blepharoplasty can address both excess fat and skin of the lower eyelid.  However, hollowing below the eye and of the cheek may be best address with fat or filler to restore volume.  I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes!

Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Lower blepharoplasty will remove wrinkles. Correction of hollowness depends on the cause. Sometimes it can be corrected by repositioning the fat of the lower lid and tightening muscle during a blepharoplasty. If the cause is loss of fat and sagging within the midface, then a midface lift may be required. Another option is the injection of filler in the office. You need to have an evaluation in person to discuss the options appropriate for you. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Best wishes.

Janet Woodyard, MD

Eliminating wrinkles and hollow appearance below the eyes

Thank you for sharing your question. If you can post photos, it would be easier to give more specific advice to you. In general, lower blepharoplasty improves bags and the "hollowed look." Erbium laser skin resurfacing improves the lower eyelid wrinkles and texture of the skin. Both procedures can be performed at the same time. I hope you find this helpful. Good luck. 

Lower lid

Grabowski15, Eliminate is not a term that I would use; certainly significant improvement would be a better discription. Anyway, find someone that knows how to do the "SOOF lift blepharoplasty" in your area as I have found it to be the best approach for lower lid rejuvenation. GOod luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkles and Hollowness

Thank you for your question.  A Lower Blepharoplasty treats different things from excess skin to excess fat concerns.  The surgical treatment depends on what is the causing the concern.  If the wrinkles are caused but excess skin then the lower blepharoplasty will treat it, but if the wrinkles are from the texture of the skin then another type of treatment is needed.  For the hollow look, the best treatment would be adding volume, either filler or fat.  Make a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns if further detail.

Lower blepharoplasty

A lower blepharoplasty can remove herniated fat, redrape fat over depressed areas, release depressed soft tissue at the orbital rim, as well as remove redundant skin.  Hollows can also be treated with fillers.